• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dipole Dilema

Haywood

Famous
My dipole surrounds worked well in my old house, because the only places I could put surround speakers were to the sides of the listening position. Unfortunately, that really doesn't work in my new place. I am thinking about putting them on top of a seven foot tall book case about five to six feet behind the listening position. Being dipoles, the drivers will point out to the sides. The book case is about 12 feet wide, so I have flexibility on how far apart I put them. I'm not sure how well this is going to work, but I guess I'm going to find out.

Barring the purchase of a pair or two of appropriately matched direct radiators (Studio 20s would be idea, Mini-Monitors would work adequately), do any of you have a suggestions?

Well all you can really do is try it...set them in such a way that the least amount of sound is obstructed.

Haywood said:
My dipole surrounds worked well in my old house, because the only places I could put surround speakers were to the sides of the listening position. Unfortunately, that really doesn't work in my new place. I am thinking about putting them on top of a seven foot tall book case about five to six feet behind the listening position. Being dipoles, the drivers will point out to the sides. The book case is about 12 feet wide, so I have flexibility on how far apart I put them. I'm not sure how well this is going to work, but I guess I'm going to find out.

I think this means it's time to...

Haywood said:
Barring the purchase of a pair or two of appropriately matched direct radiators (Studio 20s would be idea, Mini-Monitors would work adequately), do any of you have a suggestions?

CRAP! :angry-tappingfoot:

John

I know. New surrounds are an obvious solution. Unfortunately, I just don't have the budget. The setup in this apartment is going to be a compromise anyway. I have misgivings about my sub placement too, but there's not a lot I can do about it either. I can either put my subwoofer in the corner between the couch and the love seat about three feet off the back wall about about five feet off the side wall or I can stick it on the front wall adjacent to a hallway and the doorway to my kitchen.

I figure I have to just suck it up and deal with it for two to three years until I can buy another house. Hopefully, said house will have an excellent basement that I can convert part of into a dedicated media room.

I guess it's all about one of the skills of a true HT enthusiast...making good results with and optimizing with what you have. Maybe you could even forget about the surround channels for now and concentrate on the front end of the setup.

Maximo said:
Teo to three years? Did somethign go wrong with the move?

Not at all. I made this move on three and a half weeks notice and I am in the middle of dealing with the short sell of my old house. The situation forced me to move into an apartment (albeit a very nice one). I won't be eligible for a new mortgage until at least two years after my short sell is over and I've got some debt to pay down, so I expect to be in the apartment for two to three years before I can buy a house. This is a very nice area and I love my new job, so I expect that we will be putting down roots here for the foreseeable future.

Back