• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DirecTV DVR ?

mzpro5

Famous
I have a DTV DVR at the little house with some shows on it.

If I take it to the big house and just run a connection to the TV and nothing else can i watch those shows?

What do you mean by connection? If you mean a DTV feed, then yes, you can watch those shows, but the box does need to see the satellite.

Huey said:
What do you mean by connection? If you mean a DTV feed, then yes, you can watch those shows, but the box does need to see the satellite.
No I meant like an HDMI connection from the box to the tv.

Why would you need a sat connection? Only accessing content that is on the DVR.

If it is a directv dvr, I don't think you can even get to a menu without the box seeing the satellites. Could be wrongs though, and if so, then yes, all you would need is a hdmi cable.

Huey said:
If it is a directv dvr, I don't think you can even get to a menu without the box seeing the satellites. Could be wrongs though, and if so, then yes, all you would need is a hdmi cable.
Thanks Rob. When I get things straightened out I'll give it a try.

The only thing I wonder about hooking up the sat box at the big house is that it will show itself at the wrong location and not work. I could easily connect it to a sat connection at the big house though if that would let me access the recorded programs.

Mzpro, when D* took over the STB's, the STB's become a "boat anchor" if they don't receive a D* signal. Meaning you can't use them as a ATSC turner for OTA etc. My D* STB was the last one offered by outside manufactures (Sony SAT-HD300). I use it for a OTA tuner for my HD ready Toshiba HD RPTV. Not sure if that has changed though.

Barney said:
Mzpro, when D* took over the STB's, the STB's become a "boat anchor" if they don't receive a D* signal. Meaning you can't use them as a ATSC turner for OTA etc. My D* STB was the last one offered by outside manufactures (Sony SAT-HD300). I use it for a OTA tuner for my HD ready Toshiba HD RPTV. Not sure if that has changed though.

This STB is at the little house right now, and is an older model HR20, that I bought at BB a number of years ago.

I have no interest in using it to receive programs at the big house, I already have a STB there.. All I want to do is be able to watch material on a TV at the big house that has been recorded on the HR20 at the little house.

If I can't I will lose some things I really wanted to watch but haven't had the time with everything going on right now.

Mzpro it won't work. I have the HR20 and I tried just moving the box from my bedroom to my great room and it wouldn't even show anything till I called directv and informed them I moved the box 30 feet and they had to send some kind of signal to deactivate the box after moving it from one room to the next. But my shows were still there after Directv reactivated the box.

Back