• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DirecTV

Huey

Famous
What the hell is going on now with them. My daughter had told me yesterday it was all over the radio that they were dropping Comedy Central, MTV, or I guess everything owned by viacom. I thought she had it confused with the Dish/AMC thing that is going on. If they screw up my ability to watch Tosh.0, heads are gonna roll!

They go thru this dance every few years. This one blames that one while that one blames this one, in the end it gets settled.

I am trying to remember if I watch any Viacom channels anymore.

mzpro5 said:
They go thru this dance every few years. This one blames that one while that one blames this one, in the end it gets settled.

I am trying to remember if I watch any Viacom channels anymore.

Oh come on, you can admit to watching Punk'd, Pimp my Ride, 16 and pregnant! Nobody will hold it against you!

I didn't check, but CBS is owned by Viacom, not sure if I still have a local CBS or not.

I saw Spike go off the air at midnight. This happens fromtime to time. It is contractual chicken. Its all about negotiating. They'll get it back on.

This really sux balls cuz Palladia is a Viacom channel.

About a minth ago, I agreed to the extended HD package for another $10 a month, which I think is complete bullshit, simply so I could get Palladia.

Those rotten bastages...

I just checked my on-screen guide and DTV has even pulled the effected channels from the guide.

Wait till Apple/ABC/ESPN/Disney are pulled.......Apple is very controlling...

It appears that DTV is offering the pay Encore channels for free while the impasse is going on. Like anyone wants to watch old SD movies instead of Jersy Shore or Nick at Night.

But I had to find that out by reading an article!! The send out crap messages via the TV screen all the time trying to sell premium crap but not a f*ing word about this.

Another CS clusterf*uck from a big corporate entity.

Personally, I could really care less about D* losing the Viacom channels. I'd watch Comedy Central and Spike only on rare occasions... I really won't miss them being gone even if they never come back (they will). Viacom has a very inflated view of what their channels are worth... if Logo was all that popular they wouldn't need to force providers to take it alongside the others.

Losing AMC like the Dish folks would have sucked balls though, especially with Breaking Bad starting up again on Sunday night.

I will miss Palladia, which I pay extra for in a package, not sure how DirecTV will compensate for this missing channel, however I will call next week and find out if they will offer anything.

heeman said:
I will miss Palladia, which I pay extra for in a package, not sure how DirecTV will compensate for this missing channel, however I will call next week and find out if they will offer anything.

I'll bet 5 bucks this will be settled before the end of the month.

There is a reason this is being played out in the middle of summer.

mzpro5 said:
heeman said:

I'll bet 5 bucks this will be settled before the end of the month.

There is a reason this is being played out in the middle of summer.

Yes, most of those networks have new shows on. It use to be summer was for reruns, but now, some of the best shows on tv come on in the summer. I for one am missing new episodes of Tosh.0 and Futurama, and to a lesser point, Workaholics.

Towen7 said:
The whole pay TV system is insane. It really is.

Couldn't agree more. I think they would make much more money, if they could let people build their own package. I have Dish and dropped from the America's Top 250 to the AT120 package....Now I can't find anything to watch. Seems most of the shows I watched were on Science, H2, BBC America, and Animal Planet.

I had 250 Channels and probably watched about 50 channels tops. Who the hell watches the shopping channels? I could probably see that back before the days of the internet. Those types of channels and the fact there's an SD and HD version of some channels, doesn't make sense.

The technology exists and has matured to the point where its certainly possible to move to an app style distribution system. Something with an aggregator app to manage the channels one subscribes to and to insert adds to other available content. I'm sure here are smart executives tha can figure out how to monetize it.

I'll have to look around but I think there is some type of regulation or law that forbids cafeteria style programming.

I would think something lobbied for by the entities offering content to the distribution services.

Internet services are starting to provide what you guys (and I) want. I can watch CNN on the intranetz (although I'm about ready to switch to CBS), its how I watch The Daily Show, I can get MotoGP singly via the net, etc. Only starting to get "high-speed-intranetz-only" service here in my area, I'm comparing services... :handgestures-thumbup:

Back