• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DirecTV

I only have pay TV because I get a big discount. I tried the Internet and OTA only. Really, the only thing I missed was sports. Recording and playback of OTA content was a little more complicated an unreliable than I'd prefer for the family to use.

Still. We gotta be getting close to the point where this can be done.

mzpro5 said:
I'll have to look around but I think there is some type of regulation or law that forbids cafeteria style programming.

I would think something lobbied for by the entities offering content to the distribution services.

That doesn't surprise me. :evil:

One thing I've noticed is how some channels that were offered in a basic package will get moved to a higher priced add on package. I can remember when WGN and TBS were in Charter's basic package years ago. Now to get those channels, you have to move up a tier or two to get them (more $$$). Those channels are replaced by networks like TBN, Bloomberg, or HSN.

Whether it's Charter, Direc, or Dish, one doesn't get shit if they want the basic lowest priced package.

In one thread we are discussing the decline of the US as a world power and here we are lamenting the loss of a few TV channels. I wonder if there is a connection?

Hmmmm . . . .

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:
I'll have to look around but I think there is some type of regulation or law that forbids cafeteria style programming.

I would think something lobbied for by the entities offering content to the distribution services.

That doesn't surprise me. :evil:

One thing I've noticed is how some channels that were offered in a basic package will get moved to a higher priced add on package. I can remember when WGN and TBS were in Charter's basic package years ago. Now to get those channels, you have to move up a tier or two to get them (more $$$). Those channels are replaced by networks like TBN, Bloomberg, or HSN.

Whether it's Charter, Direc, or Dish, one doesn't get shit if they want the basic lowest priced package.

I looked around and I didn't find any regulations but I did find this quote that sums it all up:

"No company has stepped up to offer such a thing, however, because it is too lucrative to continue to make you pay for stuff you do not want and do not use. "

mzpro5 said:
It appears that DTV is offering the pay Encore channels for free while the impasse is going on.

Wonder if that includes Encore Westerns? Been too long since I've watched Cheyenne or The Rifleman.

As for the dropped channels, I don't care much as I'm addicted to the Internet. But I do kind of miss Comedy Central and the Cartoon Network. EDIT: oh, looks like we do still get Cartoon Network, I guess??????

mzpro5 said:
Wheres my five bucks?
Here they are.

MarkBoyd5bucks.jpg

Oh snap! I gotta say that was a good one Zing!

Glad to see it's over, and I was going to call today to see if I could get some free HBO. Oh well.

Viacom channels not up on the guide yet. Can't remember any of the channel numbers as I rarely watchecany of those channels.

I haven't even looked at the channel guide yet. I remember Comedy Central was 249 and Spike wasn't that far off, but heck if I can even remember any of the other channels. I just didn't care that I lost them... if Viacom wanted my bill to go up to cover their stuff, they'd be really disappointed to know I'd just as soon save the money and dump their garbage.

Well I see the battle with Viacom is over, according to the message I had on my DVR this morning.

Another message mentioned that Turner Classic Movies is now in HD, now that I really like!

TitaniumTroy said:
Well I see the battle with Viacom is over, according to the message I had on my DVR this morning.

Another message mentioned that Turner Classic Movies is now in HD, now that I really like!
If ya kept up with the forum you would have known all that days ago. :happy-smileygiantred:

Back