• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dispersion

Maybe the brown grid is throwing things off. I made that drawing for another purpose. The brown grid is a beamed ceiling.

media.nl

Those things broke the backs of my Titans in my garage. Not super impressed.

Randy said:
So much for my thinking Paradigm build quality is good. :teasing-neener:

How much did those Titans weigh Randy? These mounts are rated for 20lb speakers. The SVS that I'm using are less than 13 lbs.

I know full well if I buy new speakers, I won't be able to use these mounts. So far, everything I've looked at is over 20 lbs and very few have a threaded insert on the back.

TitaniumTroy said:
How about these speakers...
LOL Yeah, they might work. :teasing-neener:

Troy, you asked something earlier about the dipoles with a switch. Again, if I go with new speakers, I'd prefer traditional monopoles. Plus, I'd rather not have to get a stool and/or flip switches.

WOOHOO! 3000 posts! So this is what Botch felt like last year. :text-lol:

Zing said:
Randy said:

How much did those Titans weigh Randy? These mounts are rated for 20lb speakers. The SVS that I'm using are less than 13 lbs.

I know full well if I buy new speakers, I won't be able to use these mounts. So far, everything I've looked at is over 20 lbs and very few have a threaded insert on the back.
I use Titans as my rear surrounds in my main HT. Like them a lot. But what also works well (no potshots guys!) are "older" Bose 301 Series III. Almost identical overall sound (frequency response, etc.) to the Titans (believe it or not) but because of their "Direct-Reflecting" design they have a much wider / broader dispersion pattern. I used to use them for both my side and rear surrounds before I did the HT makeover a few years ago. You can mount them vertically or horizontally - depending on where you want to bounce the sound - and they weigh about the same as Titans.

Here's a really old picture showing two of them on-wall using some simple brackets that I made to hold them.

Not urging you to go out and get a pair. Just saying that there may be some options you might not come up with on your own - and my guess is you'd never have thought Bose! :)

Attachments

• P1010898.JPG
    P1010898.JPG
    880.4 KB · Views: 511
Zing said:
Randy said:

The Titans are not heavy at all, not sure how much but nowhere near my studio 20s.

I used the omnimounts to wall mount my Titans in my garage and the plastic back of the speaker actually broke. WTF??? Now they just hang there kinda limp like an old peter.

Or so I've heard! :eek:bscene-buttred:

mazersteven said:
And Dennie mentioned In-Walls or In-Ceiling.
Zing, the distance problem solved! Built-in wave guide.

Attachments

• Config4.jpg
    Config4.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 506
Looking at the SBS-002 they seem to be dipole and if they are used in the rear that might indicate that the out of phase with each other. If you have the side that has the tweeter on top runing as positive voltage speaker pushes out, facing towards the other speaker and the tweeter is on the bottom when you test you will find that with a positive voltage the speaker moves in creating the out of phase problem making the center a little week. To the left and right of the speaker you will have strong sound power but straight out from the point you will find the weak sound because the speakers on the left and right are running as opposites. This type of speaker works best as side speakers in a THX theater. The sound pattern from these speakers would be similar to a figure eight pattern from a ribbon microphone. one side positive and the other lobe is negative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_speaker

With the rear ports if memory is right there was a discussion from Flint that around 4 inchs of space to a wall surface is all that is needed to reduce problems. Depending on the port tuning for say 80 hz the 703 on the wall will help to a small degree. 703 is effective down to around 100 and reduces effectiveness as frequencies get lower. That is why it takes a large amount to create the base trap to reduce the mud in the rooms.

Back