• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY Bass Trap Tube

bmwuk

I have very small corners due to entrances so no more than 12" deep and thought a bass trap might serve better in a tube shape than a standard rectangle. The pricing of ASC traps are insane IMO and started looking at DIY.

What is the ideal thickness or a pipe insulation. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Cylindrical bass traps are fun to look at, but they are not as effective as a corner trap if you plan to place them in a corner anyway.

But, if a corner trap isn't an option, then a cylinder can be made fairly easily if you have some tools and basic building skills. The best I've experiences were made by making a thick piece of wood, like a few 2x4 pieces glued together to make a 12 x 12 block, then cutting it into a 12" diameter circle. With two of those, you can take chicken wire, or some similar open metal material, and cut use the wood circles as guides to roll a tube of the metal, stapling one wood piece to one end. Then stuff the tube with fiberglass batting and then staple the other piece of wood to the opposite end. After that, wrapping it with a open weave natural fiber fabric of your favorite color, stapling at the top and bottom, and if you want it to look nice use painted MDF as a cap for each end. With one of these at 4 to 7 feet tall placed in each corner of the room, the bass will be damped a bit and clean up the low end a bit.

But, you could also just take 4" thick traditional compressed fiberglass or mineral wool panels and mount them across the corners of the room and absorb more bass.

You could also make the same cylindrical trap, but make it 18" to 24" in diameter and put three straight supports between the two end pieces to add strength and you could use them as plant stands or display stands in each corner. make them about 5 feet tall and they'd be a great place for a lamp, photo frame, vase, or sculpture.

You could also make the same cylindrical trap, but make it 18" to 24" in diameter and put three straight supports between the two end pieces to add strength and you could use them as plant stands or display stands in each corner. make them about 5 feet tall and they'd be a great place for a lamp, photo frame, vase, or sculpture.
Now that I'm looking I do see 12" wide 4' tall and 4" thick traps. Would I place them similar to the acoustic panels, at the same height level?

Now that I'm looking I do see 12" wide 4' tall and 4" thick traps. Would I place them similar to the acoustic panels, at the same height level?

If you can, stack two on top of each other and fill the corner from floor to ceiling. If not, the top or bottom has a greater concentration of bass energy, so highest or lowest placement is best.

Back