• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY Custom Ear Molds for IEMs

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Today's the day!

Finally, after months of waiting, I decided that tonight I am going to take on the work of molding my own IEM ear sleeves. I am using the well respected Radians Custom Molded Earplug kit with my pair of Shure IEMs. I've already put the putty into my ears with the IEMs inserted and am currently listening to the snap, crackle, and pop of the rubber material as it cures in my ears.

Why now? Well, I just spent nearly three weeks in Europe and used my IEMs more than every before. Imagine wearing your IEMs for 4 hours on one flight, then 10 hours on the next flight, and so on. I also used them as my cell phone cables mic set for that time in Europe, so I was wearing these things in my ears for many hours each day then on many flights and moved about Europe from city to city as I attended meetings. By the end of the trip my ears were not very happy with that much pressure from the expanding sleeves, and the sleeves I was using aged very rapidly. So, I finally decided it was time to try out the custom DIY molds. It is a little freaky listening to all the noise this material makes as it cures, but the noise rejection is pretty amazing.

I chose to do it a little differently than most people recommend and used the full amount of mold material for each ear rather than cutting the usage in half. I figure I can just remove any excess I may have.

Well, the molds came out perfect, except for one thing - I didn't align the IEM properly. it all looked perfect until I realized the if I drill out the hold for the output from the IEM it would exit right against the upper part of the ear canal. I need to try this again at another time.

Back