• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DIY...Outdoor shed?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
This isn't HT stuff...but figured I'd put it in the DIY section.

Anyone build a shed? and have their plans?
I'd like to fit in the lawnmower, a wheelbarrow, various other garden tools, some outdoor seating.
Trying to price out a DIY version vs a whole purchase...and I need directions on the order of things if/when building.
I'll search the web of course, but figured I'd ask here also.

I’ve built several but have never had an actual plan. The order of construction is straightforward... foundation> sub-floor > wall framing > roof framing > exterior siding > roofing > interior details

is it an addition to the house? attached to the house?

in our state they've loosened up permits for grandma units (i hate that term but i cant remember the right one), but they allow people to start building additional living spaces/sheds etc without much nuisances of red tape.

I’ve built several but have never had an actual plan. The order of construction is straightforward... foundation> sub-floor > wall framing > roof framing > exterior siding > roofing > interior details
Estimated cost for your builds? I don't need anything too large. <100 sqft, thinking 10x9 or so.

Estimated cost for your builds? I don't need anything too large. <100 sqft, thinking 10x9 or so.

You can spend as much as you want depending on how nice you make it.
I’d budget ~$1,500 for 10x10 with a plywood floor on deck bocks, 24” stud spacing, a vapor barrier, roof flashing, plywood siding (no sheathing), no windows, no electric, and basic door

You can spend as much as you want depending on how nice you make it.
I’d budget ~$1,500 for 10x10 with a plywood floor on deck bocks, 24” stud spacing, a vapor barrier, roof flashing, plywood siding (no sheathing), no windows, no electric, and basic door

this is our cost too. guy built it in a week or two.

Can I ask is there an aversion to getting one of the many prefab sheds available at Home Depot, Lowes etc.?

Can I ask is there an aversion to getting one of the many prefab sheds available at Home Depot, Lowes etc.?

For me? It depends ...
The choice to buy or DIY comes down to what one’s skill level, whether they enjoy the project, and how much they value their time. I have the skill to have landscaped my yard earlier this month, but I decided that $1,000 was worth not spending several weekends busting my ass doing work I hate.

in our case, our guy can do it without any worries or challenges on our end. i understand and appreciate how mainstream stores do it, get permits, schedules and proper guidelines to be met prior to the build. its for safety, its for a reason.

this guy?

fucking give him string and a level top to start of and off he goes until i need to write off a check.

but then again, the one we did use? not really our guy, but my mom in laws. so i have no say in it.

there are holes, problems, challenges with his work.

and thats why paying mainstream companies are worth the investment. or at least a dependable guy.

The sheds for sale at big-box stores in my area vary wildly in cost and quality. At the same Home Depot I can find one built with 2x2 studs vs. 2x4 ... staples vs. nails ... 24” spacing vs. 16”... 1/2” decking vs. 3/4” ... janky-ass door hinges vs. quality ones ... metal flashing vs. no flashing ....

Back