• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

DLP bulb replacement

Akula

Famous
Our Mitsubishi DLP RPTV (model WD-57734) in our theater room looks like it's getting dim. I understand this is a symptom for a bulb that is not long for this world, and at almost 11 years old, it's probably past time for the bulb to blow.

Thing is, if I was to replace it, I really REALLY like the new OLEDs, but I am not wanting something smaller than a 57" (like our DLP is), and 65" OLEDs are really spendy. Besides, it would mean a new receiver sooner rather than later since the receiver won't pass a 4K signal either (that Denon 3808 has served well, but it's long in the tooth).

So the question appears to be: replace the bulb or the set? We've been very pleased with the performance of the set over the years, so I'm heavily leaning that direction right now. This brings another question: where to get the bulb?

Direct from Mitsubishi, the OEM bulb looks to run $250. Advantage there is it is known good.

I see some Philips bulbs on Amazon with good reviews at around $90. Needless to say, this is more attractive than $250. Prime eligible, too!
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Lighting-MITSUBISHI-915P061010-Replacement/dp/B008LZZ0W4

There's some el cheapo $30 ones, but those have miserable reviews and I'm not all that interested in them.

I was wondering if any of you had any information or experience in this. Should I just prepare to junk a set that has served well? Should I spend the money for the OEM bulb? Is the Amazon one the way to go?

Thoughts?

Years ago I replaced the bulb for my Sony SXRD with a $100-ish bulb from Amazon and it worked perfectly for several years until other issues killed the set.

The 65" OLEDs are indeed spendy, but the 55" ones are quite reasonable, and the pic quality would (imho) more than make up for the lost 2 inches. That's what I would do, but YMMV.

I've also had success ordering factory equivalent off of Amazon. I just look for prime options along with good/plentiful reviews.

$250? WOW! I have never spent more than $100 on a bulb, and that was back when DLP's were popular. We have 5 DLP's in the house, and I've changed every the light bulb in all of them, with the last one being $32 for a samsung dlp, although that didn't fix it. It's my oldest purchased dlp so I probably won't pay anymore to get it fixed.

I'm kind of on the fence like you, Akula. The 73 inch Mitsubishi that is used for most of the viewing, currently has it's initial bulb in it because the replacement had dimmed so much, and I had saved the old bulb on switchout. I must have been a little quick to change it out the first time, but I do need to order a new bulb, or look at new tv's, which I've been considering. I tried using the Well Danny does need a new tv in his room logic on the wife, but she isn't buying it yet. If you do go the bulb route, be sure to save the old one. Bulbs can blow at any time, and having a backup can be quite helpful. Not sure if you've ever changed one out, but they are pretty simple. Biggest problem I've encountered has been where the bulb plugs in, sometimes the metal connections will be somewhat seized up, and can be hard to unplug the bulb. The do recommend wearing gloves, only for the fact that if your fingers touch the glass on the bulb, it can cause a hot spot and lead to premature failure.

Best case scenario for bulb replacement is the bulb can be easily removed from the housing by removing a simple nut or two. I wouldn't want to attempt soldering a bulb. But it seems the housing is the expensive part and if you can reuse a housing you already own you can save a lot of money.

Best case scenario for bulb replacement is the bulb can be easily removed from the housing by removing a simple nut or two. I wouldn't want to attempt soldering a bulb. But it seems the housing is the expensive part and if you can reuse a housing you already own you can save a lot of money.
I have always bought the complete bulb, housing and all, and the last three bulbs for three different tv's were all under $40, and they all are still going with the oldest probably being a couple of years old.

Back