• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Does LED have glare issues?

milpool

I am replacing a dead 28" LCD monitor today. Glare is a critical issue, because of location, and the LCD had no glare issues. Is LED similar to LCD in anti-glare performance? Thank you!

milpool said:
I am replacing a dead 28" LCD monitor today. Glare is a critical issue, because of location, and the LCD had no glare issues. Is LED similar to LCD in anti-glare performance? Thank you!

LED is merely the back light source of LCD TV. Most LCD TV's use cold cathode tube with filters to supply light to the liquid crystal to create an image. The deciding factor with glare will be the screen finish, and the majority of LCD panels have anti glare screens, unlike some laptop's which come with the shiney screen where you can see yourself, they suck.

Rope

Thanks Rope. That's kind of what I figured. But it has been a couple years since I've cared about displays. :text-thankyoublue:

Marketing people would like you to believe there's such a thing as LED TV, which is just not the case. All so called LED TV are LCD TV with LED's used as a back light. In some cases the LED lights are local dimming, which provides a much better picture because the light source can be conrolled without filters, making the greys black and increasing contrast.

Rope

Rope said:
Marketing people would like you to believe there's such a thing as LED TV, which is just not the case. All so called LED TV are LCD TV with LED's used as a back light. In some cases the LED lights are local dimming, which provides a much better picture because the light source can be conrolled without filters, making the greys black and increasing contrast.

Rope

The monitors which can have local dimming are those which use a large array of hundreds of LEDs behind the LCD screen (the array is as large as the LCD). The very thin monitors use edge lighting, and these cannot be locally dimmed because there are only LEDs around the perimeter of the LCD screen. The LED light is dispersed by a plastic sheet with microscopic holes bored at varying depths which scatter the light from the perimeter LEDs and assure the lighting is uniform across the screen. There are also diffusers consisting of lenticular film and matte finishes which resides just below the LCD which keep the lighting even across the screen ( know this shit because among other things, I've designed a backlight LED array for a large screen touch-enabled monitor which the company I work for makes).

Rope said:
LED is merely the back light source of LCD TV. Most LCD TV's use cold cathode tube with filters to supply light to the liquid crystal to create an image. The deciding factor with glare will be the screen finish, and the majority of LCD panels have anti glare screens, unlike some laptop's which come with the shiney screen where you can see yourself, they suck.

Rope
This. When I bought my TV over a year ago it came down to an LG and a Toshiba (?), each $100 from each other, and the knowledgable salesman told me the screen was actually the same in each, manufactured by Toshiba (?). Both were LED/local dimming. The only difference was the Toshiba was glossy, the LG had a matte screen. The salesman pointed out the lack of glare on the LG, and that's what I ended up getting.
What was interesting was both TVs were reviewed in the same issue of either S&V or HT; they didn't mention the lack of reflections in the LG but they said the Toshiba had deeper blacks, which kinda makes sense to me without a matte screen. I wrote them a letter about that but they never replied, nor do they yet mention glossy vs matte (which I think they should).

I calibrated a 55" Samsung LED TV and man oh man it had one of the most gorgeous pictures I have ever seen. Fantastic black levels, no ghosting or pixcellation and a picture so sharp you'd swear you were looking through a mirror with 20/20 vision. My next purchase will be a LED full array back lit TV.

Back