• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dolby Atmos Speakers

Yup ... There is only one LFE channel. With that receiver, and every one I have researched, both subs get the sum of the LPF for all channels (if any speaker setting is set to "small") and the LFE.

Jeff, I noticed very early in your Dolby link an explanation of the channel breakdown. I think your explanation is technically what most here have come to adhere to. Another case of MFRs twisting marketing labels as needed?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3
Interesting!

That looks like one heck of a receiver.

However, and this might be more than a matter of pedantic semantics (to paraphrase words spoken in another thread) I'm wondering about Denon's use of "7.2 channel." Especially being a proponent of multiple subs.

I (and I guess others - like Towen7) distinguish between the number of subs used, and the number of discrete LFE channels. The ability to connect two subs (as a convenience feature), where those subs receive the same signal, does not, in my mind, take a system from a 7.1 to a 7.2. All its doing is moving from an external user-supplied "Y" adapter to a receiver-provided internal one. However, if those sub outputs were distinct, and could carry independently different signals, then I would bestow the 7.2 label.

An example would be where the room correction software could vary, independently, the level and response of each sub output, in order to better smooth out the room response using two subs. (I do this in my main HT through the use of different subs (inherently different responses), each with independent level control, placed in different locations. A less elegant brute-force approach. But since I'm starting with the same 7.1 sources and my Onkyo still only provides a 7.1 output capability (after which I split like crazy to feed multiple subs their bass-managed signal / LFE) I still refer to the overall system as 7.1-capable.

I've looked through the Denon's owner's manual and spec sheets, and while they extol the virtues of running dual subs in order to smooth out the bass response within the room, it does not appear that, for example, its Audyssey system is treating the LFE as two independent channels and using them thus for room correction. So I take (a bit of an) issue with their use of the 7.2 designation, rather than what I think should be 7.1 in this case.

(I note that when specifying its Dolby Atmos capabilities it uses 5.1.4 and 7.1.2 - which seems spot on. But that raises the question as to where did that extra LFE channel go? Does it get lost in an Atmos set-up (with one sub output going silent), or is it just a tacit admission that there really is only a single LFE channel (as opposed to connection) regardless of configuration.)

Do I get the pedantic semantics award of the day?

:)

Jeff

Note that in the manual there is no reference to " .2 ". All references are 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1.

It's kind of odd the way they market these things. You can have two subs (or more I guess if you use a Y-connector). You can set the levels and distances for each one, but Audyssey treats them as one when it comes to equalization. That's why I have two identical subs. It would probably be a headache trying to get two different subs to match this way. All I know is it works quite well (and I'm using wireless on the subs, rear speakers and the rear atmos speakers).

It would probably be a headache trying to get two different subs to match this way.

THAT is exactly my problem. I have a spare sub that I'd like to use in the HT but it isn't the same make and model as the one I use in there now.

Here's an example of the GUI showing the speakers and connections.

Attachments

• GUI ViewTerminalConfig X4200~_DRDZILfhumomdk.png
    GUI ViewTerminalConfig X4200~_DRDZILfhumomdk.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 5
THAT is exactly my problem. I have a spare sub that I'd like to use in the HT but it isn't the same make and model as the one I use in there now.

You could try and see how it sounds. With some experimenting it might work for you. Nothing is really set in stone when it comes to how you like things and how things sound to you. I only had the one sub when I started, but because of the size of the room it wasn't really enough. Went with two HSU subs because I got a really good deal on the two.

Getting back to Atmos, if anyone is thinking about diving in (and you have the receiver that does Atmos already), give it a try and see for yourself what you think. I notice no "smeariness" in my setup. And with the recent DTS:X update a lot of the receivers are getting, it enhances the sound experience further. Definitely worth it for me. I seem to remember a lot of people "poo pooing" on the 7.1 idea when it was being introduced.

I thought there was a newer version of Audyssey (XT32?) that will EQ two subs independently.

Note that in the manual there is no reference to " .2 ". All references are 5.1 or 7.1 or 9.1.
But there are in multiple other places including the unit's main web page and the pdf spec sheet.

Confusion sewn by Denon.

Jeff

But there are in multiple other places including the unit's main web page and the pdf spec sheet.

Confusion sewn by Denon.

Jeff

You should read their manuals. Talk about confusion! Fortunately setup on these things is pretty easy. Just follow the on-screen prompts and it's pretty simple. And the manual you have to download now and it'll eat up about 2 black cartridges on your printer. You'd think for what these things cost you'd get a flippin' printed manual included.

Another thing about Atmos. It all depends on the source too. Some films with Atmos are pretty weak. Goosebumps comes to mind. It was ok, and there was really only one scene that Atmos shined (and it sounded like there was actually someone running across your roof). Superman Man of Steel was killer. Everest too. The first season that Game of Thrones released with Atmos was pretty underwhelming and I noticed a lot of places (Best Buy, in particular) we demoing Atmos with this. I can see where people would say if wasn't that much to get excited about.

I have Deadpool, Ender's Game, The Fifth Element, Ghostbusters, and Independence Day on-hand, ready to fire up. The theater should be up and running within the next two weeks.

CMonster you doing Atmos?

Yes, 7.0.2. My plan is to use Crowson tactile transducers along with full-range front speakers instead of a subwoofer - I can always add a sub if necessary. I could probably add two more Atmos speakers as well though they wouldn't be placed optimally and I doubt they'd be the same model as the current pair.

Yes, 7.0.2. My plan is to use Crowson tactile transducers along with full-range front speakers instead of a subwoofer - I can always add a sub if necessary. I could probably add two more Atmos speakers as well though they wouldn't be placed optimally and I doubt they'd be the same model as the current pair.

Cool. Welcome aboard. All the titles you listed were really decent, with the exception of Enders. Wasn't bad but seems like it could have been better. Is the Independence Day the 20th Anniversary edition? I have that and it's a big improvement. Waiting patiently for the 2nd to be released on 4k.

Cool. Welcome aboard. All the titles you listed were really decent, with the exception of Enders. Wasn't bad but seems like it could have been better. Is the Independence Day the 20th Anniversary edition? I have that and it's a big improvement. Waiting patiently for the 2nd to be released on 4k.

Yes, 20th Anniversary edition of ID4. And that sucks to hear about Ender's Game; I should've done more research - I just assumed it'd have a good mix. Oh well, at least it wasn't a double-dip.

I didn't think I'd hop on-board the Atmos bandwagon but I was pretty impressed when I heard it at a friend's house. I remember one demo scene where instead of it sounding like the wind was circling around the room it was as if the wind was going right through the room.

I've begun the process of implementing Atmos. I have a 5 channel Rotel already waiting in the wings along with a pair of Contour S Rs. I want to get my last pair ordered soon (total of 4 channels). And then I have to get a new preamp. I'm waiting to see what new products Marantz has on the horizon before possibly springing for the outgoing 7702MKii. I've already got the pre-wiring solution thought out and it will complement the theme of my HT as well as the mounting of the speakers. Executing this install will be a little bit of a pain but I'm hoping it will be worth the effort. If anybody wants to throw their hat in the ring for my Marantz 7701 let me know before I list it on eBay (2-3 months from now).

Batman, from what I've been hearing, there's not much difference between the current and newer models being released. Might be worth going with the outgoing model to save some money. I know the newer Denon's are pretty much the same as last year.

I had a Marantz 7005 and really liked it. The only problem was the "port hole" got kind of old after a while. That's why I went with Denon this time. Sound wise they are pretty close, but I give the edge to Marantz.

After all is installed I think you'll be happy and know it was worth it. Wish I could have done in-ceiling speakers, but no installer wanted to touch it with all the hvac ducts, support beams and other odd things inside the crawl space. Next house will be different. Really don't know why I bought this one but I'll be here for a few more years.

Oh boy, just wait until Matt chimes in with all of the talk of multiple subs.:rofl:

Back