• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dolby True HD vs. DTS Master Audio

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
I have recently listened/watched The Who; Quadrophenia - Live in London, Blu Ray Concert. I watched with the Dolby True HD Audio most recently and it had much lower end compared to the DTS Master Audio track.

Why is this?

What is the real difference between the two?

I didn't think there was any particular difference except the actual data format used to encode the audio tracks... Kind of like .zip vs. .7z, both lossless but different compression formats. Maybe one was intentionally mastered a different way? Or one of the two has different expectations for end user systems, sort of like the THX "standards"? Just guessing here...

Which tracks do you hear this most on? I just got my copy of this, but I haven't listened to it yet. I can give it a whirl on my system and see if I hear the same.

The only thing I've read that makes any sense is that DTSMA is mastered at 4db higher than TrueHD. But I've never taken a measurement to verify that statement.

PaulyT said:
I didn't think there was any particular difference except the actual data format used to encode the audio tracks... Kind of like .zip vs. .7z, both lossless but different compression formats. Maybe one was intentionally mastered a different way? Or one of the two has different expectations for end user systems, sort of like the THX "standards"? Just guessing here...

Which tracks do you hear this most on? I just got my copy of this, but I haven't listened to it yet. I can give it a whirl on my system and see if I hear the same.

Don't confuse this with the Blu Ray Audio Quadrophenia, it is the Concert I am talking about. However I have only listened to the DTS Master of the Blu Ray Audio also, no other formats.......

It is through out the Concert, the complete Dolby True HD has a totally different sounding mix, primarily in the Lower End.

DTS masters all their own audio tracks separately to fit into the DTS profile. So, the content going in is different from the Dolby tracks which are intended to duplicate what the original mix engineers created.

So, you cannot directly compare a DTS track to a Dolby track as the sources sound different anyway.

Back