• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dr. AIX

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I suddenly started getting daily posts from the owner of AIX Records, who is a bit opinionated but I have to agree with just about everything he's written so far; I decided to start a thread where I'll post some of the more interesting things he sends out. This week he's talking about High-Resolution Recording, and how doing the absolute highest-resolution copy of original material that wasn't that good in the first place, doesn't and can't improve it. Might make for some interesting discussions. About music.

Oct 28:
The new iTrax.com website is coming along and I'm designing each product page
to have a tab that will display a spectragram from a track or two taken from
the album. I use the Adobe Audition application to analyze tracks of my own
and those from other labels and download sites to determine the "reality" of
their high-resolution claims. You can tell a great deal about the production
process by examining the spectragrams...if you know what to look for. So by
popular demand, I'm going to dedicate a few days of posts explaining in detail
how I produce a spectragram, what information is included and how to interpret
them. I know I should have done this a long time ago but better late than
never.

A spectragram is a visual representation of a sound presented over time that
also indicates the amplitude across a range of frequencies. The device or
software that generates a spectragram is a called a spectragraph (it seems I
should more correctly be calling the plots that I generate and display on this
site spectragrams NOT spectragraphs). While spectragrams are used in the
fields of sonar, radar, speech processing and seismology, I'll be limiting my
discussion to their use in high-end audio and music.

Let's take a look a blank spectragram as produced by Adobe's Soundbooth
application (a previous version of their current application - I use this one
here because it can scale on the frequency axis).

raw_spectragram http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?615bs-ajwr9-lr35ld7&_v=2

Figure 1 - An annotated spectragram generated by Adobe Soundbooth [click to
enlarge].

Here are some things to notice about this graphic. The brightest yellow/orange
lines are the main notes of the melody and chords that comprise this selection
(I scaled it very large to show the detailed information that can be seen in
the music). As the colors move towards red and purple, you are seeing the
"partials" or "overtones" that are generated with every musical tone according
the natural overtone series (which just happen to be integer multiples of the
fundamental...pretty cool!). These components contribute to the brightness or
clarity of the high end of the frequency spectrum. If they're not there,
things start sound dull and covered.

spectragram_new_scale
http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?615bs-ajwra-lr35ld7&_v=2

Figure 2 - Here's the same selection with the scaling at its maximum [click to
enlarge].

Looks dramatically different, right? The details of the musical information a
squeezed into the bottom portion of the plot but the frequency range on the
right has opened up to reveal the sampling rate of the source digital file. In
this case, the sample rate is 44.1 kHz because the highest frequency on the
frequency axis is 22 kHz or half the sampling rate of a CD.

What are also revealed about this particular selection of music are the
highest frequencies that are present. Remember that the purple wisps are the
very upper partials of the music. If you look carefully, you can see them
extending to about 16-17 kHz at about 11 seconds. Not bad. But well within the
capabilities of a compact disc.

So let's leave it at that for today. I've got to get back to some grading and
(I gave midterms last week and the students would love to get the results of
all of their studying).

Oct 29:
So yesterday, I think we got the basics out of the way on what a spectragram is and what the various axes represent. We looked at a standard resolution audio track. The track was a 44.1 kHz/16-bit stereo PCM file. Today, let's take a look at a real high-resolution audio files. I'll use one of my favorite tracks…one that I recorded and which was actually recorded using high-resolution audio capable equipment. It was not transferred from an older analog tape or upconverted from a standard definition digital file.

In 2002, I recorded my best selling recording, "Guitar Noir", a DVD-Audio/Video disc by Laurence Juber, ex-Wings guitarist and acoustic finger style Guitar Player Magazine award winner. All of the recordings I have done for my label originate as 96 kHz/24-bit PCM tracks. I have no interest in using DSD of any flavor, analog tape with its limited dynamic range or 192 kHz or higher esoteric DXD etc. I have yet to hear or measure a recording that beats one of my own in both sonics and specifications. Using 96/24 PCM captures everything that I need to "wow" my customers and audiophiles that experience our demos.

One of the tracks from "Guitar Noir" won the 2002 "Demmy Award" from the CEA for "Best High-Resolution Surround Track". I have the trophy in a glass case right outside of my office. Considering who we beat (The Grateful Dead, Sting and Wynton Marsalis), I was pretty stoked by the award AND impressed that the people doing the evaluating actually listened to the track rather than give the award based on name recognition (the NARAS "Grammy" folks bypassed one of my recording for "best engineered recording" because they didn't have the equipment to play it!).

Here's the spectragram of "Mosaic" by Laurence Juber (NOTE You can download this track in full 96 kHz/24-bit Stereo PCM at the FTP site):

mosaic_spectra_annotated http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?61bgm-akp8y-lr35ld1&_v=2

Figure 1 - The spectragram of Laurence Juber's "Mosaic" track at 96 kHz/24-bits [click to enlarge].

The most important change in this plot is that the vertical axis now extends to 48 kHz rather than the 22.050 kHz limit in yesterday's spectragram. Why is this? Because this file was recorded at 96 kHz or more than twice the rate of standard definition CD. This means that a PCM recording at 96 kHz has the "potential" to capture and reproduce ultrasonic frequencies (those that are higher than 20 kHz). I stress the word potential because as we saw just a couple of days ago, the "Jazz Prologue III" by Design w/ Sound download files, which might seem to have much better specifications than my own track (you can purchase a 96, 192 or 384 kHz version), didn't contain any information above 22 kHz. The ultrasonic region of the spectragram was completely black! You're buying gigabytes of digital silence. The only version of his "Lush Life" download that eclipsed 20 kHz was the DSD version AND the material above 20 kHz was nothing but uncorrelated noise due to the 1-bit encoding used. Do you start to get why…at least intellectually…I don't understand the appeal of DSD?

Take a look at the spectragram of the "Mosaic" track. There is lots of musical information above 20 kHz. It's pretty obvious that the instruments are capable of producing frequencies above 20 kHz, the microphones and recording equipment (running at 96 kHz/24-bits) that I used to capture the performance actually recorded the ultrasonics AND the files on the DVD-Audio disc or on our download site contain a level of fidelity that far surpasses traditional CDs, SACDs and even DXD files.

I use the "Mosaic" track as a benchmark recording because it has so much dynamic range, there's lots of ultrasonic partials and it is a killer piece of music. Download the file and check it for yourself (you can get it free by requesting the FTP credentials).

Here's a customer review of the "Guitar Noir" project from 2003…

"I got the Guitar Noir album yesterday (Monday), which surprised me as I'd only ordered it last Friday. I've only had a chance to listen to it for one complete pass, so I can't yet compare the DVD-Audio to the Dolby Digital (Audience), the DTS (Stage) and the 96 Khz/24-bit PCM stereo mixes. From listening to the DVD-Audio, I'm convinced that it's the closest thing I've ever heard to having a band play live in my home theatre. The music won't be for everybody (it's kind of light acoustic jazz), but it's absolutely incredible sounding. You feel like you could reach out and touch the guitar and bass and the percussion has a clarity unlike any other recording I've ever heard."

I'll continue talking about spectragrams tomorrow. We'll look into how you can use this tool to spot problems or irregularities with a track.

Oct 30:
http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?61g6y-alehp-lr35ld8&_v=2

Okay, I'm getting emails that have images embedded in them, it'll take me a bit to figure out how to post them here in an easy-to-read manner; will appreciate any help from Zing or other webmasters on what I'm doing wrong, thanks! (I'm getting "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" in red when I wrapped (img) codes around the images in the copied emails...)

Yeah since I ordered several (four now) aix recordings, I've started getting those as well. The info on spectragrams is interesting. He seems quite biased against sacd/dsd, not quite sure why, maybe he'll explain more of that at some point.

Botch said:
Okay, I'm getting emails that have images embedded in them, it'll take me a bit to figure out how to post them here in an easy-to-read manner; will appreciate any help from Zing or other webmasters on what I'm doing wrong, thanks! (I'm getting "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" in red when I wrapped (img) codes around the images in the copied emails...)
If the form can't determine the image size, it won't display them at all. The only work around that I know of is to do it the long, tedious way. Highlight the image in your mail, drag it to your desktop, upload it to Photobucket (or Flikr, etc) and link to it. That's what I do.

Yeah, I met Mr. Waldrep at the 2013 AXPONA show. Bought 2 Bluray's, gave me an older demo one for free. Also attended his demo with all B&W 801's (except center) speakers in a full surround set up at the proper distance. I remember he did not really like using the center channel as that speaker is smaller and therefore comprised. However he did use some info in there as his customers wanted that, since most had a center channel.

While this set up was cool, I did not think the all matched full range (except center) sounded like something super special. Course he ran only video's he made, so can't judge for movies. I think I would side with Soundhound vs Flint, re:matched surrounds. I told him I wanted judge his B&W set up vs my Magnepan system, he said he was not sure how that would work out. As he uses the B&W's when mixing too, however I think his recordings sound fantastic on my system. Better than those monkey coffins, to me anyway.

I also prefer the stage perspective vs the audience, as their is more music/info in the surrounds. But I have heard other recordings like the Cowboy Junkies that were recorded with the group in a circle which I did not like, surrounds were distracting. I like his story that since their was no handbook on how to record music like what he wanted. He just made things up as he saw fit or what worked.

So far as artists I like Laurence Juber on acoustical guitar, and Mark Chesnutt, plus some the pop/blues/R&B guys. I still need to listen/watch his Brand New Opry/BNO II, he told me the old name was too similar and got him sued by the Grand Ole' Opry.

What Bluray/DVD's do you Botch and PaulyT have?

Of AIX, I have Cheryl Bentyne - Among Friends (which I posted about in the "stellar recordings" thread), Zephyr: Voices Unbound, Laurence Juber - Guitar Noir, all DVD-A (with regular DVD video on the flip side); and Goldberg Variations Acoustica (blu-ray). I'm embarrassed to say, the Cheryl Bentyne is the only one I've listened to yet, just haven't had time to sit down and really concentrate on the others.

I want to read this thread, but the original post won't format and it locks up my browser.

Ok I made a few edits, at least to fix the links. Try again...

Or get a decent browser, geez. :laughing:

Pauly, are you saying that I cannot use my Windows 2000 IE 6.0 browser?

I might have to pull out my DOS 6.2 diskettes.

TitaniumTroy said:
What Bluray/DVD's do you Botch and PaulyT have?

I've got:
John Gorka, The Gypsy Life (acoustic folk)
AC Timba Jazz, Neurosis (acoustic jazz, fantastic piano player here!)
A High-Resolution Audio Experience (sampler, these are pretty good as you haven't heard of most of the artists, can figure out who you'd like to investigate further)
Rita Coolidge, Play Something Sweet (a larger band, 11-piece)

I need to revisit their site and pick up a couple more, but after Dennie posted Music Direct's website, I think I've spent enough nickels this month… :shifty:

zephyr_prem_cvr.jpg

Just finished listening to (and then watching) this one, Zephyr - Voices Unbound. I loved it. I'm probably the only one on this forum who would particularly enjoy this music (though maybe not...); if you've heard small a cappella vocal groups like the King's Singers or Chanticleer, this is very much along those lines. A nice mix of songs from medieval (1500s) through modern (20th/21st c.) composition. Interesting music and really fantastic singing.

And the surround mix on this one is sensational. You can see from the video and pictures that they recorded this with the singers - 12 of them - standing in a circle facing each other. And that's what you get in the mix, voices all around you. This was a unique experience for me, especially having done a lot of singing in smaller groups like this.

I just placed a $180 order to AIX a couple days ago; Pauly I'll have to add that one to the next list. :)

I hope you're already familiar with Take 6:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4qgO7k9to[/youtube]

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:

^-- Yeah I've got that album. Good stuff!

I'm curious to hear about your other AIX stuff that's coming. I've got a few more that I mentioned above, that I haven't had a chance to listen to much yet.

Sort off-topic, but I just submitted some feedback on the AIX site, and got an e-mail response from Mark Waldrep within like five minutes... and not just a form letter but an actual response to what I sent. Seems like a cool guy.

Botch said:
I just placed a $180 order to AIX a couple days ago; Pauly I'll have to add that one to the next list. :)

I hope you're already familiar with Take 6:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4qgO7k9to[/youtube]

:bow-blue: :bow-blue: :bow-blue:
Creepy!

The song's either about a serial stalker or a very very perveted Santa Claus!

Nice harmonies though.

:)

Jeff

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band XXL - Take 6 Comes Love
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAK3P7SWm_Q[/youtube]

Rope

Another question for Botch and PaulyT, which listening perspective do you prefer, audience or stage? Myself, I like stage, as their is more music put into the surrounds, but not overdone like some recordings.

So far I've generally preferred stage; the high-res DVD-A generally seems to be the stage mix, from the discs I have. It's only the video side where you get the choice of audience (dolby dd) vs stage (dts).

Mark's mixes are pretty good IMHO, without "gimmicky" use of surrounds; that is, trying to make it sound like you're there surrounded by the musicians.

I actually prefer the "Audience" mix on the AIX recordings (same with the two Tom Petty recordings I have); but, I'll admit that the "Stage" mix is better if you want to really concentrate on a single part, it's easier to isolate.
It is "music-style" dependent for me, too. Something that's designed to mess with your head in an audio manner (Pink Floyd, Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry) its great to hear different parts and sounds swooping in and out. On the other hand, I have a couple 5.1's from latin artist Pancho Sanchez, where the conga is coming out of one speaker, and the "tumba" ( or lower-pitched (larger) conga, believe that's what its called) is coming completely out of a different speaker, giving the illusion of a conguero with 9'-long arms! That drives me crazy. :angry-banghead:

Agreed, some styles of music are fun to hear in surround in ways that are clearly engineered rather than "natural" - and that's cool too. (I just got my Wish You Were Here SACD in the mail today! Can't wait to put it in.)

Also listened today, for the second time, to the AIX Juber - Guitar Noir album. He's a great guitarist, was a member of Wings, and the recording is technically outstanding. Not a whole lot of major surround as it's just three musicians: guitar, bass (both acoustic) and percussion. Mostly some of the percussion sounds in the rear. But while I really wanted to love this one, the music just didn't do a whole lot for me. Ah well, I still have a number of AIX discs to go through.

Back