• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dream Theater shakeup

My friends and I always said "Dream Theater would be a better band without that singer!"

I don't think that I would classify them as Metal??

What do you other DT Fans think?

Glad you enjoyed it Paul!!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Dream Theater Timeline.....

From Wikipedia.....

Current members
John Petrucci – guitar, backing vocals (1985-present)
John Myung – bass guitar, chapman stick (1985-present)
James LaBrie – lead vocals (1991-present)
Jordan Rudess – keyboards, continuum (1999-present)
Mike Mangini – drums, percussion (2010-present)

Former members
Mike Portnoy – drums, percussion, backing vocals (1985-2010)
Kevin Moore – keyboards (1986-1994)
Chris Collins – vocals (1986)
Charlie Dominici – vocals (1987-1989)
Derek Sherinian – keyboards (1994-1999)

Attachments

• dt time.png
    dt time.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 136
PaulyT said:
Now you just gotta get the BD so you can hear this concert in its full DTS-MA glory! :eek:bscene-buttred:
How 'bout we trade, even-steven, for a Joe Bossanova bluray that I have? :teasing-tease:

Glad you liked it! I'll admit James LaBrie is probably the weak link in the band, but he's no slouch; the other four are easily in the top five on their respective instruments in the world, what vocalist would be better? (and if you ever get a chance to see Score (DT with a symphony orchestra) his performance on Octavarium raises the hairs on my arms; incredible!). You might want to check out the Liquid Tension Experiment albums too (see above).

Heeman, I don't regard them as metal. They are Prog. :music-rockout:

Botch said:
PaulyT said:
Now you just gotta get the BD so you can hear this concert in its full DTS-MA glory! :eek:bscene-buttred:
How 'bout we trade, even-steven, for a Joe Bossanova bluray that I have? :teasing-tease:

Glad you liked it! I'll admit James LaBrie is probably the weak link in the band, but he's no slouch; the other four are easily in the top five on their respective instruments in the world, what vocalist would be better? (and if you ever get a chance to see Score (DT with a symphony orchestra) his performance on Octavarium raises the hairs on my arms; incredible!). You might want to check out the Liquid Tension Experiment albums too (see above).

Heeman, I don't regard them as metal. They are Prog. :music-rockout:

I agree 100%.......... :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Well, I kept coming up with things to add to this post like DT is normally considered prog and that I cant think of a better singer for them than James LaBrie. But, you guys pretty much covered it all.

I think LaBries vocals on Images and Words was really good. That is the one that I am the most familiar with because most of the other stuff that I have heard is too "Prog" or too "epic".

But, one thing is for sure, they are all damn fine musicians.

Ok, maybe we can agree to call them "prog metal." :laughing: Yeah, definitely not a normal metal band by any stretch, but IMHO they're coming from there as a starting point, esp. compared to other prog bands of the 70's, which seemed to be more rooted in classic rock or even folk rock.

And yeah, LaBrie isn't a bad singer, I didn't mean to imply that. Just that in the setting of the concert I've seen so far - which is only 3-4 songs mind you, I'll finish the rest later today - he didn't add much for me, and actually I kinda had a hard time hearing the vocals clearly compared to the other instruments. Maybe because I have a phantom CC instead of a physical one? Though in theory that shouldn't make any difference... And it looks like they all contribute to the music writing? Not sure if there's any lead writer in this group...?

Paul,

I'll give you that one!! Progessive Metal

They are much different than Yes and Genesis, however all top of the class!

Wait, what about Pink Floyd?? Jethro Tull?? Rush?? (they are progressive) Queen??

HUM....................

Well, folks. I thought the Mike M. would come around and learn to be a valuable asset to Dream Theater over time. I was wrong. I've heard a couple of the new songs off "Images, Words, and Beyond" and he is just filling the empty space any competent drummer would do. I was never a huge fan of Mike, but he should be able to contribute to the band more then just keeping a beat. It almost feels like he never learned was drums were for and is just playing a standard rhythm pattern until there's a gap where he can show off his chops, which are impressive but boring and uncreative. Sad, really.

There are a ton of more musical drummers out there who could do this job.

I also noticed the band's social media feed is making an effort to promote Mike as talented and core member of the band, which comes off as defensive. Sad. Calling attention to him only points out how weak he is.

Its a pity this band is failing like this. The talent is obviously clear from the other members, but it just sounds like skillz masturbation with a boring drummer.

I could be Mike M is deficient or it could be that you’re maturing and have come to realize that prog sucks.

Back