• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Dynaudio LYD Reference Studio Monitors

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...=lowerfunnel&utm_content=display&utm_term=2x2

I have been paying very close attention to the new LYD speakers from Dynaudio which combine their amazing drivers and their new fastidious approach to digital crossovers and amplifiers. They appear to be different for several reasons such as their approach to tailoring the sound based on a linear "tilt" EQ adjustment rather than a shelving filter and their simple "wall" filter for when you need to place it against a wall.

I would be Very interested in auditioning these things. The 7" model looks to be in the sweet spot, but the 8" model wins on bass and peak SPL.

>>80-watt/50-watt Class D amplifiers are light and loud<<

Whoever wrote that marketing line should have Cerwin Vega speakers strapped to his ears and played "loud". Light and Loud indeed....

Those look interesting indeed. I would like to hear your thoughts after you hear them. I looked at the frequency response graphs for the 8" and I am surprised by the obvious bump above 10kHz. Most of us probably can't hear that but still...

John

Boosted high frequencies seems to be a thing these days, but I'm surprised that this would be the case for a speaker which calls itself a studio monitor. Assuming the recording engineer's hearing isn't blown, a bright speaker would tend to cause the mix to end up being deficient in high frequencies.

Boosted high frequencies is the norm with home speakers, even very expensive ones. Its kind of dismaying that it got that way, but whatever - I'm not in the market for speakers and probably never will be.

Boosted high frequencies seems to be a thing these days, but I'm surprised that this would be the case for a speaker which calls itself a studio monitor. Assuming the recording engineer's hearing isn't blown, a bright speaker would tend to cause the mix to end up being deficient in high frequencies.

Boosted high frequencies is the norm with home speakers, even very expensive ones. Its kind of dismaying that it got that way, but whatever - I'm not in the market for speakers and probably never will be.

So why do you think manufacturers went to the boosted high frequency model?

My guess is that it gives a sense of detail and is exciting during a brief listening session. Then at home we get used to it or get fatigued.

John

My guess is that it gives a sense of detail and is exciting during a brief listening session. Then at home we get used to it or get fatigued.

John
That's why exactly. In video displays the equivalent is the color and brightness being jacked way up in the showroom beyond what's accurate. The masses of consumers don't know the difference, and probably don't care.

This is one reason I want to hear them. Historically Dynaudio hasn't had the apparently treble boost of most of the other brands out there, but they did have a little boost. That said, if you listening just the slightest amount off axis, the amplitude of the boost is usually reduced. Also, treble from wide dispersion tweeters (pretty much all non-horn tweeters) tends to dissipate with distance, so the further you sit from a speaker the less top treble reaches your ears, but that is also room dependent.

They also have a "Tilt" EQ setting called "Dark" which is a linear tilt with a boost of +1.5dB at 20Hz and a cut of -1.5dB at 20,000Hz centered at 1kHz. That tilt would reduce the relative peak at 16kHz seen in the response.

Like I said, I would love to hear these.

HAHAHAH!!!! It didn't show as a link on my phone! HA!!!

There are dealers here. I know a few studio guys who might have these as well. That said, I am tempted to just buy a few for shits and giggles.

Back