• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Embarrassed But Really Excited

Jeff... IEMs and phones and tablets are allowed during take off and landing now.

You can't use phones or tablets in Canadia because they fly about the cabin when the Dornier hits a moose on the runway.

Jeff... IEMs and phones and tablets are allowed during take off and landing now.
But not headphones (earphones) for Canadian carriers. IEMs are ok however. I was getting tired of having to start and end the flight with IEMs - with headphone use in the middle (especially on short flights where climbing and descending take up a big chunk of the on-plane time) which is why I pretty much stick to IEMs only and not bother taking headphones anymore.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/air-passengers-electronic-devices-568.htm

For US carriers the FAA has issued extensive instructions / advice stemming from the ARC PED report. Basically the onus is on each airline to come up with a checklist for each and every aircraft type it flies to determine which PEDs are permitted - rather than the broad rule set out by Transport Canada. It is therefore possible that some US airlines flying certain aircraft may have similar restrictions - but my guess is that yes, headphones are permitted on US carriers.

Europe's (EASA) approach mirrors that of the FAA.

Jeff

Well, I am fortunate. In all my flights over the last couple of years i have sat down, pulled out my tablet, plugged in my IEMs and started watching my shows while still at the gate. I remain doing that throughout the flight except when I need to choose between the filet mignon or the lobster dinner and when ordering my double gin and tonic (bloody Mary in morning flights)

Well, I am fortunate. In all my flights over the last couple of years i have sat down, pulled out my tablet, plugged in my IEMs and started watching my shows while still at the gate. I remain doing that throughout the flight except when I need to choose between the filet mignon or the lobster dinner and when ordering my double gin and tonic (bloody Mary in morning flights)
Me too. It's only headphones that are not allowed. I really like being able to plug in and watch or listen to something after taking my seat, and ignore all of the commotion going on during the boarding process. But, getting back to my first post in this thread, I'm not really happy with my Sony IEMs. Something with very good sound (and especially the extended bass that I've come to expect with Denon headphones) for $100 or so would be a no-brainer.

Jeff

See... here's the issue, I prefer the sound and performance of my IEMs over any over the ear or on ear headphone on the market. So, when you keep saying "except for my headphones" I don't relate at all. It is a shame you didn't really like the Sony earphones.

That said, there is almost always some douchebag sitting next to me with his Bose Quietcomfort noise cancelling headphones on, and they get away with it.

See... here's the issue, I prefer the sound and performance of my IEMs over any over the ear or on ear headphone on the market. So, when you keep saying "except for my headphones" I don't relate at all. It is a shame you didn't really like the Sony earphones.
1. It's a shame that my Sony IEMs (<$100) sound so poor relative to even my cheapest Denon headphones (~$70);

2. It's a bigger shame that you couldn't make it to the GTG so that I could hear your IEMs (>$1000) in comparison to a good set of headphones like the Denon AH D5000 ($450-600 ish);

3. I might very well prefer the sound of your IEMs, but I can no longer afford such things - which is why I'm particularly interested in what Heeman thinks of his ($100).

I am with you, man. This is a fun hobby. We need to get together for a drink soon.

Yesterday I was able to listen a lot................

The Ultimate Demonstration Disc, Chesky was first and these just blew me away.

Jeff, take the $100 buy them and let me know what you think. Then I will have a better base line, however I think these are great!

They were a bit uncomfortable after my long trip, however I did not experiment with different cone sizes. I may get a chance to do that over the weekend!

It is so great to have music on these flights!!

:listening::listening::listening:

I am glad you guys are enjoying iems a lot. Me, i could never use one as i have big ears and they fall off no matter how i hang them.

Me, i could never use one as i have big ears and they fall off no matter how i hang them.
Huh? They make large (and perhaps extra large) tips to keep them firmly in place. No hanging required.

Huh? They make large (and perhaps extra large) tips to keep them firmly in place. No hanging required.

Ditto! I have to use the largest foam tips Shure sells which ate larger than anything Comply sells.

Back