• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Epicure M-202

Maximo

Someone gifted me a pair of Epicure M-202s. They look nice, are very heavy and I am super geeked about it. BUt they say 4 or 16 ohms. What do I do with them?

Edit: Bad news. I pulled off one of the covers and they have Pyle woofers in them that have dryrotted away. So not only do they have shitty bass drivers in them but they are ruined. What to do?

Update. Ok, after some more looking, someone tried to rebuild these. I haven't done a fulldiagnosis but none of the drivers are original. The airspring tweeters are gone. ONe side replaced with a metal dome tweeter and a pyle 8" woofer. The other side looks like a Morel-esq 1.5" tweeter paired with a foam flat piston driver. Very odd configuration. The tweeter level knob is gone and so is the 4 ohm/16 ohm selector switch. So, all in all I think these things are plant stands and nothing more.

Someone either had no idea what they were doing or was some kind of speaker genious and created these Frankenstiens.

Maximo said:
Edit: Bad news. I pulled off one of the covers and they have Pyle woofers in them that have dryrotted away. So not only do they have shitty bass drivers in them but they are ruined. What to do?

Give Matt the piles and buy new woofers? (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Here's a link to a crossover schematic http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi202.htm Looks like there's a switch to select which impedance you want to use.

Yeah that website is Awesome. That is where I got the info about the fact that these speakers have been defiled to the maximum extent.

They even sell the parts I need to fix these things. But at the present I have no need for another set of speakers.

Maximo said:
Yeah that website is Awesome. That is where I got the info about the fact that these speakers have been defiled to the maximum extent.

They even sell the parts I need to fix these things. But at the present I have no need for another set of speakers.

I have an old pair myself, EPI 100's from the early 70's. Mine were also defiled with radio shack woofers. I found a pair somewhere and replaced them but they didn't last very long, blew the coils which was no big deal as they were from a later model anyway. I refinished them and one day plan to get the drivers and grills from Human for bedroom use.

Do yourself a favor, get the drivers, it think with core they are $50 each (in my case) The tweeters in these things are sweetness!

Problem is these need all new drivers and most likely new crossovers. So I would be looking at about $600 is parts.

Maximo said:
Problem is these need all new drivers and most likely new crossovers. So I would be looking at about $600 is parts.

Whats wrong with the tweeters and x-overs?

they've all been replaced or tampered with.

Instead of having two of the stock woofers and two airspiring tweeters they now have (in each speaker). 1 metal done tweeter, one pyle woofer (with foam rot) one 1.5" morel type tweeter and one all foam flat piston driver/passive radiator. And on top of that the tweeter attenuator and the impedence switch are gone. So I would guess that these speakers would need four new drivers and two new crossovers.

Maximo said:
they've all been replaced or tampered with.

Instead of having two of the stock woofers and two airspiring tweeters they now have (in each speaker). 1 metal done tweeter, one pyle woofer (with foam rot) one 1.5" morel type tweeter and one all foam flat piston driver/passive radiator. And on top of that the tweeter attenuator and the impedence switch are gone. So I would guess that these speakers would need four new drivers and two new crossovers.

So you got 2 new boxes

Maximo said:
LOL yes. Exactly. I was gifted with two antique night stands.

Night stands? Hmmm. Dual purpose - with a little TLC they could work as surround speakers for your bedroom system at the same time!

OK, here is an interesting twist. I took out the metal dome tweeter and I noticed that the tweeter assemble had a foam ring around it (like to deminish edge defraction or something. ONly to find that h tweeter had a pretty beefy magnet on it and that the crossover looks like it has been rebuilt. Could it be that someone with actually speaker building knowledge coblled up something good out of this thing? and that the bass drivers may just need refoamed?

I will disassamble and take pics as soon as possible and report back.

Back