• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ever pushed your speakers this hard?

Kazaam

It's kind of entertaining... Gets going pretty good shortly into the video. Check out the 1:20 minute mark!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7lpKCS0tRk[/youtube]

:shock:

(I think the damn kid across the street does that with his car stereo... :angry-banghead: )

Man, those videos would be easier to watch if they could manage to hold the fucking camera still...

Was the guy in the first vid trying to annoy his neighbors by pointing the speakers directly out the window?

D

As part of my work at both Altec Lansing and ATI, I pushed probably hundreds of speakers until they either popped out of their magnetic gap and froze, rubbed their voicecoil until it shorted (because the suspension elements ceased to allow strict piston action), or until the cone/voicecoil caught on fire. I liked the ones that caught on fire the best. The picture below is of a poor woofer that I'm frying at ATI. :banana-rock:

Attachments

• 0102081534.jpg
    0102081534.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 461
lulimet said:
Botch said:
I don't hear anything. :teasing-tease:
That's because you're not a true audiophile :teasing-tease:
No, its because I listened on my laptop's speakers... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Doghart said:
Was the guy in the first vid trying to annoy his neighbors by pointing the speakers directly out the window?
I'm guessing it was for lighting purposes.

I have pushed speakers that hard and harder. I loved testing the limits of various designs to learn what really causes failures and what doesn't. Totally by acciddent I nearly burned down a rehearsal space when some PA monitors caught on fire. We didn't realize they were burning until about 10 minutes after we smelled the smoke. The grilles burst into flames while we were walking around the space trying to find the source of the smoke.

Flint said:
I have pushed speakers that hard and harder. I loved testing the limits of various designs to learn what really causes failures and what doesn't. Totally by acciddent I nearly burned down a rehearsal space when some PA monitors caught on fire. We didn't realize they were burning until about 10 minutes after we smelled the smoke. The grilles burst into flames while we were walking around the space trying to find the source of the smoke.
PA monitors are normally pushed too hard because the damn drummer is too loud... :teasing-neener:

Flint said:
That must get expensive.

Kazaam said:
Botch said:
lulimet said:
That's because you're not a true audiophile :teasing-tease:
No, its because I listened on my laptop's speakers... :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

You mean they don't reach down to 4 and 8 Hz?
Nah, because the Macbook Air is so thin they cut out at around 16 Hz; that's the price you pay for stylin'... :happy-smileygiantred:

You just need a new $800 power cord for your mac and you'll be able to hear the differences.

lulimet said:
You just need a new $800 power cord for your mac and you'll be able to hear the differences.
Paid damn near that just for a second wallwart... :angry-cussingblack:

Back