• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Extended Warranties?

garypf

Does anyone purchase extended warranties on electronics? Everyone seems to offer Square Trade, which can add $85-$120 to the price if you choose to extend two or three years. The product itself has a two-year warranty from the manufacturer. I've bought them in the past, and have not used it. Is it really worth it if something breaks on the third year? An inquiring mind wants to know.

For my wife's phone I always but the insurance, but nothing else. Extended warranties are the same as playing the lottery to me.

bought one for my PS4, but this is directly purchased from their website, so its not thru squaretrade. I personally don't purchase any of them, but prefer to do my shopping for big item purchases at Costco. Its straight out of pocket, but they extend manufacturers warranties for another year (if im not mistaken, sorry, last time I bought something like that was 2 years ago)...

hope this helps.

The only time I have bought an extended warranty is the extended Applecare warranty for my wife's Macbook. It made sense to have 3 year warranty on a $2500 computer.

Used to get 3 yr. On laptops. Last purchase, I rolled the dice and didnt. Certainly not on big ticket items and vehicles.

Extended warranties are a hugh "cash cow" for the sellers. I would never ever purchase an extended warranty. If the manufacturer will not stand behind their product, you have no business purchasing that item(s).

Rope

Rope said:
Extended warranties are a hugh "cash cow" for the sellers. I would never ever purchase an extended warranty. If the manufacturer will not stand behind their product, you have no business purchasing that item(s).

Rope

It must be the accountant in me, but that's the same attitude I have.. save one. The phone insurance thing -- my significant other has a knack of losing/misplacing/dropping/etc her phone all the time. However, when you try to collect on those things, you get a total run-around and the replacement phone is not exactly new.

Back