• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

extra surround speakers

Botch said:
A name for this guy, a bit of history, for us newbs?

His name is Ashley. You can probably find a bunch of threads at S&V. It all boils down to him being more than a little obsessed with the idea of adding a stack of Dolby processors and bunch of cheap speakers. The idea was essentially to split, re-split, and re-re-split surround channels to try to create a 360 degree sound field.

Towen7 said:
Botch said:
A name for this guy, a bit of history, for us newbs?

His name is Ashley. You can probably find a bunch of threads at S&V. It all boils down to him being more than a little obsessed with the idea of adding a stack of Dolby processors and bunch of cheap speakers. The idea was essentially to split, re-split, and re-re-split surround channels to try to create a 360 degree sound field.

Screen name THX, and stating he was obsessed is very kind.(fuckin' loone)

Rope

Oh! That's Ashley!
Now its starting to fit together for me...

Ashley was always crazy but he would get into crazy rants and insisting we all were wrong with anything that had to do with Audio/Video. He insisted that taking a stero signal that had been processed as Prologic than matrixing that Prologic signal into five more Prologic signals into 10 separate signals (all from a stereo signal) and then hooking up countless cheap ass speakers and one home built sub that he slapped a JBL sticker on that he named "Whole Sonic Overhead Sound" was better than a dedicated Dolby Digital receiver using dedicated channels.

It was proven he was insane when he stopped posting and we found out he was tossed in jail for slashing over seventeen hundred hundred tires with a screwdriver because some driver accidentally splashed him while driving through a puddle. The whole Bournemouth England police force put up hidden cameras trying to capture the "Tyre Slasher" and when it reached the nightly news the video was shocking. Especially when they interviewed some poor mother who had to spend her children's Christmas money to buy four new tires. The video is online if you google search Bournemouth tire slasher and you'll see Ashley's smug mug.

But then they released him and although banned from here has joined many other A/V sites to spew his vitriol.

Edited to reflect not 200 tires but 1725 tires :scared-yipes:

Botch said:
Oh! That's Ashley!
Now its starting to fit together for me...

wow, i AM that old then...

hehehe.

nonetheless, hes a infamous character on numerous ht forums, and have been banned by many.

For those unfamiliar with the news here's the link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/dorset/3632417.stm

Far and away my favorite picture of Ashley.

Therapy-1.jpg

Maximo said:
Thank you for your input.

Hey Max, back on topic. John is right, a properly set up 5, 6, 7.1 set up will give you much better results, as that's what the recording engineer intended for you to use and mixed the soundtrack accordingly.

But, you can use the extra in-ceiling speakers as a Zone 2, for the kitchen, bath, den, etc...!

Dennie

Umm... we aren't supposed to EVER say that name.

Shit... I may need to log off for a few weeks...

The fact that he's mentioned at all just shows that he's living (rent free) in some of your heads. He's not worth the bandwidth spent on him already.

Flint said:
Umm... we aren't supposed to EVER say that name.
MatthewB said:
Flint it's okay we just can't say his name three times fast.
Only on the other forum. We can say Ashley Carpenter, THX, JBL or whatever you want, as many times as you want on this forum. ;)

Towen7 said:
The fact that he's mentioned at all just shows that he's living (rent free) in some of your heads. He's not worth the bandwidth spent on him already.
If it has entertainment value, it's worth the bandwidth. That's what some of us come here for, no? :shifty:

I guess so. I know what he's done to the forum and people here but its time to move on. I guess I'm just not a fan of beating up on someone with his obvious problems for "entertainment value".

Carry on with your bullying. I'll leave you alone.

^ I thought the topic was discussed / answered / finished and this is the backroom talk now... :confusion-confused:

Towen7 said:
I guess so. I know what he's done to the forum and people here but its time to move on. I guess I'm just not a fan of beating up on someone with his obvious problems for "entertainment value".

Carry on with your bullying. I'll leave you alone.
I viewed it differently since we're not conversing with him directly. :confusion-shrug:

Back