• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

FiiO E6 Headphone Amplifier

• Thread starter Deleted member 133
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 133

Over a year ago I purchased the FiiO E6 headphone amplifier. Why? Something was obviously lacking in my life and I felt this was it.

FiiO describes the E6 as follows: “E6-portable headphone amplifier is specially designed for MP3/MP4/mobile phone/computer that can not get best effect of high impedance from the headset due to the low power to improve the power and sound quality.” One can only hope that its sound is as crystal clear as that description!

After giving it a quick spin to make sure it was working ok (in case I needed to return it under warranty), and checking to make sure it sounded great, I boxed it up and put it aside. I felt fulfilled.

This afternoon I happened to see that little box sitting off to the side of my desk. That missing feeling came back. So I unboxed the little sucker again.

Of late I’ve been grooving to Lorde’s Pure Heroine through my Denon AH-D5000 headphones. I’ve been listening to 192k MP3 tracks ripped to my computer from the CD. They sound great. But perhaps the FiiO can make them sound greater? Let’s see.

As you can see from the pics below the E6 is one very beautiful little beast. Some might say that looks don’t mean much, but not me. The black case and silver trim look outstanding. It has 2 LEDs: one to indicate the power/charging status and the other to indicate the chosen response curve. The glow of those LEDs is a real turn-on - let me tell you!

Set up is easy (all needed cables supplied): connect the USB cable (for charging – not needed when charged); connect the male to male headphone cable between source and the E6’s input; connect headphones to E6’s output.

For now my source is my ACER portable. I set the ACER’s output volume to 50%. Then volume adjustments are made with the E6’s volume toggle. I selected no EQ (LED goes out.)

I’ve since been listening to Lorde. And let me tell you, she sounds great!

One immediate thing I notice was that the E6 plays loud and clean. I think the designers nailed it with their choice of LEDs for sure. Sure they’re not in the circuit but I swear their light blue glow must be pushing out the electrons faster and harder.

Bass extension easily reaches the subsonic. I swear I can hear bass that’s beyond my hearing range. I don’t know about the supersonic range since I’m mostly deaf way up there. But I’m sure the neighbourhood dogs are all in hiding right now.

The sound is also completely noiseless and distortion-free. It’s as if the E6 was able to reach right back to the master digital tapes and clean them up! Any limitations in the MP3 format vanished completely.

Soundstage? All I can think about is Leo on the bow of the Titanic, arms wide open, soaking it in from 360 degrees (in the X, Y, AND Z planes!)

Listening to the E6 is a completely life altering experience. I think it set me back $30 or so. Money very well spent – let me tell you.

In future I just might go completely nuts and connect it to my iPod Touch.

Jeff

ps. All kidding aside, the E6 really does play loud and clean, and for some folks whose source cannot adequately power their headphones, it should make for a very nice improvement.

Attachments

• P3060089 (Medium).JPG
    P3060089 (Medium).JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 359
  • P3060090 (Medium).JPG
    P3060090 (Medium).JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 358
I knew this was tongue-in-cheek humor (or humour in this case) as soon as I read the following:

JeffMackwood said:
I’ve been listening to 192k MP3 tracks...

:laughing: Your descent into satire was very subtle, mon ami.

^--- yes I sort of got the sense that the timing of your post might not have been entirely coincidental. :laughing:

Next time you're in my neighborhood, stop by for a listen to a REAL amp! Or maybe at the GTG this summer...

I've just come up with a neat secondary use for the FiiO E6 headphone amp.

First the problem.

In my family room HT, I have a variety of sources connected to a Pioneer receiver who's multi-zone amp output I use to provide sound to my dining room, garage and backyard, via a speaker multi-selector.

One of those sources is my Scientific Atlanta HD8300 cable box, from which I play any of the nearly 100 music channels that come with my cable subscription.

The Pioneer receiver's multi-zone function only works with analogue inputs - RCA stereo cables only; no HDMI. For that reason I need to stream my on-server music collection through an older Blu-ray player that has RCA stereo output, and I need to connect the Scientific Atlanta's RCA connections to the Pioneer as well.

In the backyard, garage and dining room I can get plenty of volume (more than plenty) when streaming through the Blu-ray player, however when playing channels off the Scientic Atlanta cable box there's barely enough volume in the backyard - even with the Zone 2 volume at the max on the Pioneer. Doesn't matter if the SA's RCA output is set to "variable" (turned all the way up), or "fixed." It's simply not providing enough line level signal for the Pioneer's amps to drive the backyard speakers to anything near loud levels.

Enter the FiiO E6.

I was just about to start searching for a line level (analogue) amp to boost the signal when the thought occurred to use it. With the appropriate cables (which I had on hand) and a small USB wall-wart power unit that could plug into the SA's 120v power receptacle to keep the FiiO powered at all times, set-up took but a minute and then it was testing time.

The result is not exactly breathtaking. I still can't get truly loud levels - even with both the Pioneer Zone 2 amp and FiiO outputs at their max. But it has given me probably a 4-6dB (ie. noticeable) bump in volume.

I'll use it as is for now, but I'll still explore the possibility of finding a very cheap but effective line level amp (with volume control). (If anyone knows of any...)

Jeff

Follow-up: Just ordered one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I01ZNUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reminder. Based on your recommendation I also bought a FiiO-FiiO-It'sToThePhonesWeGo, and love it! :handgestures-thumbup:
However, check this out: set it on top of an Ionized Pop-Tart™, and notice how the high-mid-bass becomes so much more palpable, it's incredible!
:music-listening:

THAT'S what I've been doing wrong!!

I've been de-ionizing my pop tarts this whole time.

Back