• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

FiiO X3 Portable Music Player

BrianZ

i did a search didn't see a single thread here containing this phrase, so here's the first post about this unit i guess.

for those who haven't read about my recent initiation into decent HP equipment, i just got a set of HD600's and this set off a pursuit of better source equipment. i was previously coming from a Zune player feeding a set of V-Moda M-80's, and my music is almost entirely wma lossless.

so on to some quick thoughts about the X3. bottom line: it's really a nice unit, especially if sound quality, storage capacity, simplicity and cost are your priorities. all my listening so far has been done via the headphone jack as i don't have an HP amp yet. compared to the Zune, it is indeed more "audiophile" in freq balance, i.e. a bit smoother highs, a bit less prominent lows, and more focus on mids, especially in the vocal range. it sounds great. but what kinda surprises me is how small these difference are. the Zune imo does sound very, very nice too, and even seems to have a bit wider sound stage (but again, a very small difference).

but what really sets the X3 apart imo is a very nice compliment of features that enable a top-notch experience:

- hardware Bass & Treble adjustment. this is distortion free and great if you want a slightly more exciting presentation than the typical audiophile sound, which i ever so slightly do. and obviously this also can help those more oddly engineered recordings that we all have.

- adjustable channel Balance. this is very handy for those of us with some hearing loss issues (like me)

- Line Out! i intend to make full use of this once i get a portable HP amp (i have a FiiO E12 on the way). so far i have tested the LO on my small bedroom system (Yamaha CRX-322 receiver into PSB Alpha B1's) and i indeed hear a very nice step up in detail and resolution compared to the X3's HP jack. plus i don't have to turn the receiver up as loud, which is important because it has a fairly low S/N ratio (the receiver i mean). so anyway i expect very good things once i get my HP amp.

- microSD slot, which currently supports up to 128 GB.

- the X3 also has handful of EQ presets, which i was actually a little surprised to see being that's more of a mass market feature than an audiophile one. but i dunno maybe it's good. i haven't used this feature and don't really intend to.

now, only downside of the X3 is that FiiO is still working out some functional issues, which have been slowly addressed via back & forth with user feedback and firmware updates since it's introduction. the most frustrating issue is the limit of the number of files/songs that X3's music library can handle, which is currently 5800. for a unit that has almost 130 GB of storage this is kind of a joke. mine is not full yet and i already have about 8500 songs (vast majority are lossless). this makes library/categorical functionality useless because why would you only want half of your collection categorized? the work around is that you can browse your entire collection via file folder structures and this works pretty well for me because i already have my folders organized very intuitively. but if i didn't it would be a giant hassle to have to retroactively do that just to use this player. so beware to all who have a massively disorganized music collection. anyway i gather from the Head-Fi forum that FiiO is still working on a fix and it will be addressed in a future firmware update.

and speaking of firmware updates, there have been a lot of them. and i think this is because FiiO relies heavily on customer feedback to help them develop and refine functionality. they really pay attention - it's kinda cool.

CAUTION:
there has been a lot of talk over on Head-Fi that FiiO is developing a unit to replace the X3. this makes me a little nervous as a new owner. i hope it doesn't mean they will start slacking on updates for the X3 before the functional issues/imperfections have been addressed. maybe they have determined that some of the major complaints cannot be fixed with firmware updates so they instead decided to create a full-on replacement? god, i hope not - the X3 is so close to perfect for me!

Excellent!

That's a good point about the number of songs it can index... huh, I wonder if my iBasso has a similar limit? I don't see anything in the manual about it, or from a quick google search. (sorry off topic I know...)

PaulyT said:
Excellent!

That's a good point about the number of songs it can index... huh, I wonder if my iBasso has a similar limit? I don't see anything in the manual about it, or from a quick google search. (sorry off topic I know...)

yeah it really makes you wonder, right? i know nothing about coding & software for things like this so i have no idea if it's a common or unavoidable limitation for some reason??

incidentally i first noticed it when i couldn't find an album i had just added whilst searching under the Album list, but it did show up when browsing the folders. then i noticed that as i added and/or removed content it kept reporting exactly 5800 files indexed after updating the library (obviously suspicious). so i typed "FiiO X3 5800" into google and voila, there was a whole host of discussions and complaints on the issue.

Well sounds like it'll be fixable in firmware, hopefully.

I guess with only a 32GB storage card, and using FLAC files rather than MP3, there's no way I'm gonna get anywhere near 5800 files, even if mine has a similar limit. I'm not planning to put my entire library on there.

PaulyT said:
Well sounds like it'll be fixable in firmware, hopefully.

I guess with only a 32GB storage card, and using FLAC files rather than MP3, there's no way I'm gonna get anywhere near 5800 files, even if mine has a similar limit. I'm not planning to put my entire library on there.

you're lucky. the headphone jack on my receiver is less than stellar and there's no easy way to line out, so anything i wanna hear with my HD600's at nearly full potential will have to be from my portable HP system and i therefore need to get as much on there as i can.

as for the FiiO limit, it's almost kinda weird. certainly perplexing. as i understand it, the X5 has the same 5800 limit but it has TWO microSD slots. at 128GB each, that's potentially something in the neighborhood of 20,000 hi res songs. that's like 30% of content indexed - it's silly.

and i forgot to mention that i read that one of the firmware updates for the X3 increased the limit from somewhere in the 4000's in the original release up to the current 5800. so it really seems like they are chipping away at some limitation inherent to the design, otherwise i would think they'd just make it so big that it would never be an issue for anyone.

Yup. 5800 is a weird number, sounds pretty arbitrary...

hate to off-topic my own thread but i just edited the features section to include a mention that the T & B adjustments are hardware based, as opposed to software. people seem pretty happy about this but i'm afraid i don't know that it means. i woulda thought "hardware" means actual potentiometers, which the X3 does not have (T&B are adjusted from within in the player's settings). so what's the deal, please?

I can only guess that it's a feature built into some stage of the electronics, rather than something done purely in software (e.g. digital signal processing). Perhaps it's good in that it doesn't burden the unit's CPU that way...?

Yes... it is done in VLSIC where all the active core analog components are shrunken down into Silicon. Control is made via remote (off chip) logic controllers and switches. So, you are adjusting an analog circuit via large scale relay banks inside a very large integrated circuit - almost a full system on a chip.

These chips are capable of having lower noise, wider dynamic range, and improved consistency over time, and some are vastly superior to all but absolute best discreet designs on the market.

ooh that is way outside my knowledge base, so i'm gonna just assume you answered my question. yes, hardware eq despite no potentiometers. so ok cool then, that was awesome. thanks! :)

Back