• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Finally gave up the ghost.

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Well I finally gave up on HD-DVD yesterday and it was hard. Over the past year I was slowly adding my HD-DVD movies to Vudu and after finally converting all my movies (with the exception of three titles which are not disc to digital at all (The Deer Hunter, Pulse and We were Soldiers) We were soldiers are only D2D in SD and not HDX so I kept those three titles and wound up trading two players (one slightly used and one still new in box) and 120 HD-DVD titles for a used Infinity sub that was for sale for 120.00 straight trade at a pawn shop. They didn't want to take the players or movies but when I showed them they could make some money selling on eBay not much but some and since I've done a lot of business at this pawn shop they made the trade.

Hated getting rid of a massive collection for a buck a movie but realized I havent watched a HD-DVD in about six years and well nobody is paying for them anymore I was surprised I got a used sub out of it. My twin sister needs a sub so I figure I'll give it to her next time I'm home. I was always a fan and even though Flint and I would have great discussions about the format war and I lost a bet to Flint over it I was always a fan of the format. Now that I think about it I haven't bought a bluray in about a year either (last one was the Criterion version of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad world". And I bought that strictly because it included the "roadshows version" of that movie. All my purchases are now done via online sites for cheap inexpensive digital copies of movie in HDX. Granted it's 1080p DD Plus streaming I can't beat paying 5-8.00 per title no tax for a recent release that my whole family can enjoy oh yeah and ease of use.

I'll miss you HD-DVD and I miss those wonderful "discussions" Flint and I would have over what was the better format.

It takes a strong man to admit he was wrong......even if it is 7-8 years after the fact :eek:bscene-buttred:

Because of you & Haywood, buying movies etc for Vudu is all I do. All I use my Oppo for is for music.
It was fun reading when you two were going crazy.

I cannot begin to keep up with Matt, because the people I share my library with do not contribute and I just don't have the time to do the public library D2D thing. I still have at least 500 movies that are not eligible for D2D that I have not converted yet. I try to grab these back catalog films when they are on sale or I can find a code, but a lot of them are Disney and foreign films, so I will likely just end up ripping them to my NAS when I have the time.

Flint if the studious hadn't jumped shipped due to bribery I might've enjoyed that 100.00 bottle of scotch. :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

I gave dozens of reasons BluRay would win the format war, including incentives and market influence. You may call it bribery, I call it being able to read the tea leaves.

Back