• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Firing my Roku, going with Amazon Fire TV

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I have used a slightly older Roku device for my main HT streaming box and it generally works pretty well with some stuttering, buffering, and resolution changing issues that I can live with most of the time. That is until about 3 months ago when the CBS All Access app started having issues. I would start a show and after about three minutes of streaming it would hang, show a "buffering" spinning wheel, then reboot the entire Roku device. I dealt with it at first as it would only happen from time to time, but it got worse. At a certain point I realized it was happening almost every time I tried to stream using the CBS app. Since I could just go to Amazon, Netflix or Hulu I didn't really notice how bad it was getting.

Since the new Star Trek show is coming, and that show is the only reason I started paying for CBS All Access, I decided to get on the ball and solve this problem. Working with CBS was pointless. After carefully describing the problem (which included the app restarting the Roku) they suggested I reboot the device to solve the problem. Ugh... right.

So I contacted Roku and they didn't have a clue, also suggesting I reboot the Roku.

Crap.

So, I plugged in my Amazon Fire TV Stick, and low-and-behold, the CBS app seemed to work fine. I don't want to use the stick in my HT as it has been designated for my family room since my soon-to-be-ex-wife moved out, so I ordered a "certified" refurbished Amazon Fire TV box to put in my HT as a replacement to my Roku. Once I make the transition, I will not have any Roku devices running in my home.

Such is life.

I got the Roku device used from my older stepson for $40 when he upgraded a few years ago, so I feel I got more than my money's worth from it. I just hate replacing things for no good reason. If I get rich and choose to buy a 4K TV in the next few months, the new streaming box might be justified.

The general average quality of the other two Roku boxes I had, which also experienced stuttering, resolution changes, and sometimes full on buffering issues, helped inform this decision.

Last edited:
The only reason I never switched to Fire TV boxes is the lack of any way to play back my UV content. If it were not for that, I would seriously consider switching. I love the integrated interface concept.

It could be the older Roku couldn't handle the firmware requirements of CBS Access. The new Roku 4 might've worked but glad the fire stick is working. I keep my Roku strictly for Vudu which I'm not sure is on the fire stick

It could be the older Roku couldn't handle the firmware requirements of CBS Access. The new Roku 4 might've worked but glad the fire stick is working. I keep my Roku strictly for Vudu which I'm not sure is on the fire stick

Vudu is not available on Fire TV and none of the other UV providers are either, which is why I went with a Roku Ultra.

Got my new refurbished Fire TV unit and hooked it up. Simple as can be since I merely replaced the Roku and ran the standard setup.

I was surprised it knew me and logged me in automatically. No passwords or user names or activation codes for the Amazon content. I loaded the CBS app and it knee me too, strange. Once registered I watched the last show which locked the Roku. No issues.

I will test the other apps like Netflix, Hulu and all the Amazon Prime content.

Anyone want an old Roku?

The only issue I have with my fifth generation Roku Ultra is with HDCP 2.2 handshakes, but that is more due to the flaky crap standard that was foisted on the public before they got it to work correctly than it is to do with the Roku in particular.

Just throwing out their.

I'm getting Set Tv.

My neighbor has it, all the channels I need. 20$ a month. Along with Netflix and over the air. No need for anything else.

80$ for their box.

Just throwing out their.

I'm getting Set Tv.

My neighbor has it, all the channels I need. 20$ a month. Along with Netflix and over the air. No need for anything else.

80$ for their box.

When you get it up and running, start a thread and write a review. I am intrigued.

I will do may be a bit I'm back on the road.

From what I seen on his, the audio sounded nice and was in sync with the video.

He did state don't get the knock off box, he was not happy with it.

I only seen it on his phone. He was getting their box, I will start up a post when I get to see his set up.

It does have some really good reviews though.

Just throwing out their.

I'm getting Set Tv.

80$ for their box.
Do you know if the OTA is piped in, or do they give you an antenna? I am extremely interested in the details when you get back!

JUST RELEASED: SET TV website portal where clients can login and access SET TV from any device, browser, anywhere.

I think I am really going to like this.

It won't be till next month when I get back home, so I can ask him more questions .

I just sent a email, about the OTA channels. Let's see what they say.

Last edited:
I finally found a list of the stations Set TV and Set TV Now claims to offer. I don't believe they can license all those channels for less than $20 a month. I have doubts this is a legitimate and legal service and product. Chances are more likely that this is the same sort of solution as the hacked KODI boxes, which are very illegal, merely changed to look more legitimate with monthly fees.

If you read the terms of the website, they absolve themselves of all liability for any accuracy on the site.

I finally found a list of the stations Set TV and Set TV Now claims to offer. I don't believe they can license all those channels for less than $20 a month. I have doubts this is a legitimate and legal service and product. Chances are more likely that this is the same sort of solution as the hacked KODI boxes, which are very illegal, merely changed to look more legitimate with monthly fees.

If you read the terms of the website, they absolve themselves of all liability for any accuracy on the site.

Exactly
SetTV is a KODI clone. Just be careful.

I cannot find any other info on the business besides the email address, the return shipping address (which appears to be an empty storefront next to a Greek Restaurant), and a toll-free number to place an order. This sounds very fishy to me. It is a federal offense to buy and use any tool (hardware or software) which enables pirating of copyrighted broadcast material. My uncle was caught selling and installing satellite dishes back in the 1980s and 1990s with the decryption chip enabled, and he took a plea deal which included getting out of the home and commercial electronics business forever - his lifelong dream and livelihood. His customers all got stiff fines as well. It was bad.

KODI boxes with illegal add-ons are not just illegal, they are dangerous. Friends do not let friends torrent.

Back