• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

First LPs, now cassettes? What happened to quality???

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... ch_LEADTop

So there is a trend in "audiophiles" collecting cassettes and claiming the obvious hiss, audible wow & flutter, phase shifting treble, and limited frequency response is "more real" sounding?

If I spoke with those artifacts in my tone I'd be quarantined for months before they could clear me of having an epidemic contageon!!!

Everything old is new again.

What's next? The victrola offers the pinnacle in sound quality?

victrola.jpg

topper said:
There must be an epidemic of ear infections ruining people's hearing.

Naa just the guys with a sh*tload of cassette tapes they are trying to dump.

I know that Scott from Fu Manchu will have their recordings put on cassette and play them in his El Camino to judge if the recording is to his liking.......I don't get it.

Upcoming BIG improvement in audio media!

phillsy_8trk.jpg

Don't forget to use the gum wrapper wedged between the player and tape, improves dynamic range, and sounds more realistic.

Rope

I actually have a couple of cassette tapes the I would still like to get converted to any type of digital format, CD or whatever.

I have a couple of demo tapes of my nephews old band from the late eighties and early ninetires. The quality was never good, but I would like to have them and be able to keep them, but alas I have now way of doing it.

First came the 4 track tape, didn't last long. 8 track was introduced right around 65 - 66, and believe me, be grateful you were never exposed to the finer qualities of 8 Track. What a PITA.

Rope

Randy said:
I actually have a couple of cassette tapes the I would still like to get converted to any type of digital format, CD or whatever.

I have a couple of demo tapes of my nephews old band from the late eighties and early ninetires. The quality was never good, but I would like to have them and be able to keep them, but alas I have now way of doing it.

If you have a cassette deck anywhere, go to the Rat Shack and get a mini plug to RCA adapter or cable. Then go and download Audacity on your PC and you're set to go.

I haven't had a cassette player anywhere but my cars for clost to twenty years. I haven't had a cassette player in a car for probably 15 years.

Rope said:
First came the 4 track tape, didn't last long. 8 track was introduced right around 65 - 66, and believe me, be grateful you were never exposed to the finer qualities of 8 Track. What a PITA.

Rope

PITA? What are you crazy? 8 track rocks! Especially when the music would fade out (in the middle of a long song), you hear a loud "KACHUNK!", followed by the music fading back in.

Classic!

Randy said:
I haven't had a cassette player anywhere but my cars for close to twenty years. I haven't had a cassette player in a car for probably 15 years.

Check the Gon or Fleabay. Maybe even check some of your local pawn shops or Goodwill (you'd be surprised at that one). I bet you could find a good one for under $50 easily.

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

PITA? What are you crazy? 8 track rocks! Especially when the music would fade out (in the middle of a long song), you hear a loud "KACHUNK!", followed by the music fading back in.

Classic!
To be completely honest, the ability to listen to my favorite albums in my car in the '70's was the shiznit! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Yesfan70 said:
Randy said:
I haven't had a cassette player anywhere but my cars for close to twenty years. I haven't had a cassette player in a car for probably 15 years.

Check the Gon or Fleabay. Maybe even check some of your local pawn shops or Goodwill (you'd be surprised at that one). I bet you could find a good one for under $50 easily.
I can vouch for that. I purchased a Yamaha cassette deck in excellent condition at a thrift store a couple of years ago. They still show up from time to time. That Yamaha is much higher quality than a new Sony I purchased many years earlier.

Yesfan70 said:
Rope said:

Rope

Classic!

Agreed! My sister and I got matching 8-track portable machines for Christmas one year, and I can truly say, that is what gave me a love for music. To this day, I still know all of the words to the Monkee's greatest hits! :music-listening:

Back