• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Frequency Range Question

lakedmb

This is going to seem like a very dumb question and for that I apologize...

What frequency ranges make up the categories of these: bass, midrange, and treble?

I know that it seems simple and I'm guessing that I should know the answer, but I started thinking about it today while thinking of trouble frequencies in a room and knowing how to treat them.

Not a dumb question at all, Lake. I think most of us here adopt the philosophy the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Bass: 20Hz-160Hz (possibly as high as 200Hz)
Midrange: up to about 5000Hz
Treble: everything above 5kHz.

:twocents-mytwocents:

I posted this over at S&V's Forum a long time ago:

When I use the term bass I am usually referring the the frequency ranch from about 200Hz down to the lowest possible (20Hz). To me, midrange is from about 200Hz to about 5kHz or 6kHz. Treble is above 6kHz.

When I get specific (more granular) I use these terms:

20Hz to 80Hz = Low Bass / Deep Bass
80Hz to 150Hz = Middle Bass / Center Bass / Primary Bass
150Hz to 200/250Hz = High Bass

200Hz to 800Hz = Lower Midrange
800Hz to 3kHz = Middle Midrange
3kHz to 6kHz = Upper Midrange

5kHz to 8kHz = Low Treble
6kHz to 12kHz = Treble / Mid Treble
12kHz to 20kHz = Upper Treble / High Treble

Flint said:
I posted this over at S&V's Forum a long time ago:

When I use the term bass I am usually referring the the frequency ranch from about 200Hz down to the lowest possible (20Hz). To me, midrange is from about 200Hz to about 5kHz or 6kHz. Treble is above 6kHz.

When I get specific (more granular) I use these terms:

20Hz to 80Hz = Low Bass / Deep Bass
80Hz to 150Hz = Middle Bass / Center Bass / Primary Bass
150Hz to 200/250Hz = High Bass

200Hz to 800Hz = Lower Midrange
800Hz to 3kHz = Middle Midrange
3kHz to 6kHz = Upper Midrange

5kHz to 8kHz = Low Treble
6kHz to 12kHz = Treble / Mid Treble
12kHz to 20kHz = Upper Treble / High Treble
j

I think we should check with Matt B regarding these.... I think he has even further defined it in his own mind!

.... love ya Matt!

There is no universally agreed upon standard for the names of these regions - its all who you ask. Even then, I'm not sure how much it matters one way or the other where the precise boundaries are.

I think you can probably divide the bandwidth between the lowest and highest note limits of musical instruments, so that the "mid" range has a fairly equal value of frequency span above it's upper and below it's lower limit.

Or something like that. ;)

Razz said:
I think we should check with Matt B regarding these.... I think he has even further defined it in his own mind!
:laughing-rolling: :laughing: :laughing-rollingred: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rollingyellow: :crying-pink:

Thanks for all of the responses. Clears it up for me.

Also, neat website Flint. I've been curious where notes on the bass guitar relate to a specific frequency.

I completely agree with Flint, but with the gear I have I have to adapt to make it work so with what I have mid bass for me is 40Hz - 200Hz, anything below 40Hz is deep bass.

Back