• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gamers I Need Assistance

mzpro5

Famous
I have been condiering something in addition to the Wii and saw that BB is offering the PlayStation 3D Display Bundle for$500 and you get the PS3 160GB for only $100.

Whole thing would be $600.

I would like to set up a gaming spot in the basement at Mom's and it seems I could hook up the PS3 and the Wii (or an old GameCube I have) to the PS monitor.

Seem like a good deal?

A little pricey for a 24" display, but with the discount on the PS3 itself it's not so bad. Not sure about the wii, you'll want to check whether that display has plain 'ole RCA-style single or component video inputs. In other words, can it handle an analog input?

Edit: I see it has "1 component HD input" - not sure what that means. Wii is not HD output, just SD.

And not every game is 3D-enabled; kinda rare right now AFAIK though of course there will be more in the future.

stoopid office servers screwing up my replies. posted one already, but it didnt go thru. :(

Anyways, as pauly said, the 500 clam offer is pretty steep for a MONITOR. its not a 3d tv by the way, and only has two hdmi ports and component.

You can find a ps3 for 250 bare bones, but if you want, you can hit up gamestop for a refurb unit. just check warranty and pick up the new slim model if refurb is your thing.

You can do so much better by getting a ps3, SKYRIM (a game), and a tv from craigslist.

I got a garage setup with a 32inch rptv, sony towers, a center, two surrounds (which the baffles were busted, thus not used), and an AVR for $50 bucks. check craigslist. im sure theres a good number of rptvs and/or lcd tvs available too.

jomari said:
stoopid office servers screwing up my replies. posted one already, but it didnt go thru. :(

Anyways, as pauly said, the 500 clam offer is pretty steep for a MONITOR. its not a 3d tv by the way, and only has two hdmi ports and component.

You can find a ps3 for 250 bare bones, but if you want, you can hit up gamestop for a refurb unit. just check warranty and pick up the new slim model if refurb is your thing.

You can do so much better by getting a ps3, SKYRIM (a game), and a tv from craigslist.

I got a garage setup with a 32inch rptv, sony towers, a center, two surrounds (which the baffles were busted, thus not used), and an AVR for $50 bucks. check craigslist. im sure theres a good number of rptvs and/or lcd tvs available too.

Thanks Pauly and jomari.

Don't know what I was thinking but yeah it would be much cheaper to just get a "regular" TV and a used system. 3D really isn't important to me.

So this may be a bit of a loaded question, but which would y'all recommend, PS3 or Xbox. I just got off the phone with my buddy at the used media store and he has good deals on used models of both.

I don't really see me doing alot (if any) online gaming.

Can't really say as I've zero experience with xbox. I've been pretty happy with my (old model) PS3 for gaming. There may be a somewhat better selection of kid-type games for PS3? I'm thinking in particular of the lego games, not sure if those are available for xbox.

Also would it make a big difference if the TV was only 720p?

Have a good deal on a Samsung 26" LCD but it is only 720p.

I would say for gaming you'd want the higher resolution. These consoles will put out full 1080p, I think you'd lose something by downscaling, especially since you tend to sit closer to a monitor/tv when doing games, at least I do.

Sitting close to a monitor (gaming) would invite the highest resolution possible. If you were sitting 4 - 5' away, 720 would be ample.

Rope

There's the size of the display to consider too. He can sit 2 feet from a 32" display and not notice one iota of difference between 720 and 1080.

mzpro5 said:
I'm looking at a 26" set and would be sitting 6-7 ft. away.

I'm no gammer, but I sit 8 - 9' away from a 50" 720p, and have had many people comment on the great resolution of my 1080p (don't ask, don't tell) :mrgreen: .

I doubt you could tell, however, you may consider going to BB and look for yourself.

Rope

Rope said:
mzpro5 said:
I'm looking at a 26" set and would be sitting 6-7 ft. away.

I'm no gammer, but I sit 8 - 9' away from a 50" 720p, and have had many people comment on the great resolution of my 1080p (don't ask, don't tell) :mrgreen: .

I doubt you could tell, however, you may consider going to BB and look for yourself.

Rope

Funny you should mention that. I have a lot of running around to do tomorrow and will be looking at both BB and Wally World.

mzpro5 said:
.......3D really isn't important to me.............

Then don't waste your money on that 3D bundle. IMO, 3D content on a 24" display is like bragging about the HD resolution of your smartphone.

I'm not a gamer, but if it were me I would get a bigger TV than a 26" display. I wouldn't get anything smaller than 40" imo. That and a PS3 might be a bit over your $600 budget, but maybe (as mentioned) you can score on a used PS3. Heck, I've thought about selling mine a few times since I'm not really a gamer and don't use Netflix anymore. The bad thing about selling it is, I wouldn't get much for it after I turn around and buy a cheap Bluray player to replace it.

Plus the fact it was a gift from work (aka: 'free'), makes it even harder to sell.

Anyone have experience with the Xbox with Kinect?

Amazon has an Xbox 360 4GB with Kinect and one wireless controller for $300.

^ We have one and NEVER use the Kinect sensor. I think there's a future for it I'm just not sure how yet. There are some things I'd like to see it utilized for during gaming but there's not a single game out for it right now I'd play more than once or twice. MS seems to be turning their focus more towards voice control using the Kinect and let the games continue to trickle out...I personally like xbox way better than PS3 but not because of Kinect by a long shot.

Ditto
We played one Kinect game two times and haven used the Kinect sensor since. If the MS ads are any indication the Kinect will be the an interface for all sorts of Xbox and Windows applications. But for gaming there isn't much appeal yet.

hmm.

lets put it this way,

1. ive been gaming for quite sometime already, pretty much most of my entire life. i love gaming, and based on what i love, i will play for quite some time. ive upgraded from 24 to 32 to 42 and love the bigger screen. not because its 1080 but because i get the better 'view' so to speak. sure a rptv would work as well, and quite frankly, i would pay top dollar if i can find a decent 32 widescreen rptv, better yet, a sony 40 too. but the bigger the better if i may suggest. the logic is seen in why most of the pc gamers having not only one or two monitors, but THREE monitors.

2. ps3 versus 360. i play the ps3, pretty much because i started from er... nes, then snes, then ps one. my point is, im used to the ps3, and havent really got accustomed to the 360 controllers. there are some absolutely gorgeous games on both exclusively, but there are a couple of things to consider if ever.
- 360 you pay for online interaction or multiplayer so to speak.
- ps3 is free, but then again, you get the most irritating kids shootin and cussin like crazy. so it depends.

3. what kinda games are you looking to play tho? fps or first person shooters? rpgs? some straight up 2 dimensional games?

by all means mzpro, keep the questions coming.

Back