• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gari/Haji - Spoilers galore...

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
First off,

this is a spoiler thread. a shit load of stuff asking about why and what and stuff about the series.

I think monkey and pauly watched it and found it 'the best thing on netflix'.

i have to concur, and now i am telling the wife i love this series.

So monkey asked me this,

Spoiler warning for others...

What did you think of "the dance scene" (as me and Baby Monkey have come to refer to it) on the rooftop towards the end? When I first saw it my jaw literally dropped. IMO one of the most unexpected, powerful, emotional and artfully creative moments of film making I have seen in years.

it was a kurosawa moment for me.

definitely something that stirred in me, made me feel content. like there was no pandemic. no shelter in place. no coronavirus.

i have to write on stuff here later on today. of course my little ones are transforming into devilspawns.

the main reason for my thread is

1. did the cheif inspector (in japan) know about it all along? was he conspiring with them?

2, did the other yakuza knoew about shin endo doing this?

3. what happen or what is your opinion on rodney at the end?

4. rodney was a good guy or bad at the end?

5. as sarah asked..... what do we do now? - and taki said 'its finished' - your comments.

6. what was the ending? aside from, you know yuto going 'somewhere'.... what about mumsy in japan? rodney? all the other characters?

i really want to respond to my questions, but i cant with my kids acting up and wife screaming her head at me.

First off,

this is a spoiler thread. a shit load of stuff asking about why and what and stuff about the series.

I think monkey and pauly watched it and found it 'the best thing on netflix'.

i have to concur, and now i am telling the wife i love this series.

So monkey asked me this,

it was a kurosawa moment for me.

definitely something that stirred in me, made me feel content. like there was no pandemic. no shelter in place. no coronavirus.

i have to write on stuff here later on today. of course my little ones are transforming into devilspawns.

the main reason for my thread is...

1. did the cheif inspector (in japan) know about it all along? was he conspiring with them?

Very possible. At the very least he was laying back somewhat and allowing Yuto to operate with autonomy maybe secretly knowing that the gang war would resolve itself internally with the Yakuza council rendering their decision and final justice.

2, did the other yakuza know about shin endo doing this?

Also possible. I lean more towards the Yakuza council arrived at this decision based on what was best for the group as a whole... with the war being destructive or bad for business. This kind of reckoning is one of my favorite inevitable conclusions in any classic Yakuza (or even Samurai) film in the event that any member steps out of line and/or acts selfishly or against tradition or convention.

3. what happen or what is your opinion on rodney at the end?

Helplessly self destructive and a broken addict but maybe on the path to some sort of salvation. I think he genuinely meant well towards the end and also maybe realized that as dysfunctional as this little group was that it had become some form of support mechanism for him. He needed them to keep himself in check.

4. rodney was a good guy or bad at the end?

I think ultimately good at heart if not again self destructive. But self aware towards the end and meaning well.

5. as sarah asked..... what do we do now? - and taki said 'its finished' - your comments.

My take on "it''s finished" is that Taki was basically instructing/demanding that Yuto return home to his family. And that maybe she understood and/or would not reveal his indiscretion but that she needed it to be over. She was also maybe voicing or demonstrating her new found role as a newly mature, more significant and influencing member of the family unit.

6. what was the ending? aside from, you know yuto going 'somewhere'.... what about mumsy in japan? rodney? all the other characters?

I read some comments online that people didn't like the inconclusive ending. I had no problem with it. Part of the success of this series (for me) was Yuto's constant sense of uneasiness or confusion as he navigated through crisis. He was struggling with what to do ethically throughout the series. And so I am OK with some element of this struggle being unresolved because it's a central part of his character. And also selfishly because maybe it could lead to a second season? So not answering every question about the fate of every character works for me regardless of whether there is ever a second season.

i really want to respond to my questions, but i cant with my kids acting up and wife screaming her head at me.

The fact that there is this much to discuss about this series is why I liked it so much. More questions then answers and a lot open to interpretation. Really the best thing I have seen in a long time.

And when the dance scene at the end came out of nowhere I was not kidding when I said my jaw dropped. It elicited almost a physical response. When it was over I found myself leaning forward at the edge of the couch in disbelief. Amazingly creative and bold decision to even attempt to craft and pull off this emotionally charged scene.

im at work so i cant even use the pc without snooping.

7. Roy - good guy or bad? i know at a certain point he was coerced to go to japan, but how did he get selected, or was he selected so to speak? when i saw him towards the end, and yelling no cellphone, no cellphone, that completed my analogy of his character.

plus the fact that the stupid 'commercial' gifs netflix shows some of them, including Rei holding a gun on top of a crash site.

im at work so i cant even use the pc without snooping.

7. Roy - good guy or bad? i know at a certain point he was coerced to go to japan, but how did he get selected, or was he selected so to speak? when i saw him towards the end, and yelling no cellphone, no cellphone, that completed my analogy of his character.

plus the fact that the stupid 'commercial' gifs netflix shows some of them, including Rei holding a gun on top of a crash site.

7. Roy - good guy or bad?

General buzz on Roy seems to be that he was basically a low level pawn and just acting in whatever served the interests of resolving his gambling debts. See Reddit thread about it here. I tend to agree he was not much of a decision maker and just followed instructions.

Back