• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Gentle Giant Anyone?

Yesfan70

I'm famous now bitches! vvvvv
Famous
Anyone here like this band? I do. What impresses me is how technical they can be for a typical 3-5 minute song. For those who don't know them, they are a prog rock band and if you like Prog Rock, they are highly recommended.

What's funny is Derek Shulman (lead singer of GG) kinda hates the "prog rock" label that's been applied to them, but (imo) that's what they were to me. I love Yes and Rush, but GG had some very tight top notch musicians in the band. A lot of them wasn't "confined" to just one instrument. For instance Ray Shulman (bass player) is a classically trained violinist (he is also a very good trumpet player). His playing (bass) has been compared to the likes of Chris Squire (Yes), which I agree as his lines are very melodic. Tracks that stand out to me are "The Runaway", "Mobile" (my favorite), "Freehand", and "Underground" to name a few. The bass line from Underground reminds me a lot of 'Roundabout' from Yes.

I can't remember where I read it, as it's been so long, but I remember reading that GG was referred to as the "musician's band". I couldn't agree more. I saw where they got a lifetime achievement award from the Progressive Rock Music Awards in 2015.

Yeah, I have several of their albums. Good stuff!

I think The Runaway, Mobile, and Plain Truth are probably my favorite tunes.

I think Ray Shulman is a very underrated bass player.

Back