• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Good news for you copyright hounds!

What I find ironic is the studio will release a new Bluray which includes a digital copy. The person who bought the Bluray sells the digital copy for say1.00 to a website that buys them. The website then sells that copy for 5.00 to me. Who then suffers. The studio got paid when the original person bought the Bluray and DC. He can do with it what he wishes as he now owns the copy (this is evident by the second hand stores across the USA who buy and sell used dvd's and Blurays). They buy em for pennies sell them for dollars and it's perfectly legal.

Now the studios get mad that they are not making a profit on the digital copy but they still got paid by the guy who bought the Bluray. Now I buy the DC because I'm not paying 20.00 for a Bluray when I can buy the DC for 5.00 so who loses out here. The studio got paid, the guy who bought the Bluray got paid for his DC (that he legally owns and can sell) which he will not use. The website got paid by me and I saved by paying 5.00 instead of 20.00

It's the same thing as if I had gone to Al's used DVD and bought a DVD for 3.00 the studio got paid for the original sale, the guy who bought the movie got paid when he sold the DVD, the store got paid when I bought the DVD and I get to enjoy the movie and that's perfectly legal.

Agree DRM can suck balls.

MatthewB said:
What I find ironic is the studio will release a new Bluray which includes a digital copy. The person who bought the Bluray sells the digital copy for say1.00 to a website that buys them. The website then sells that copy for 5.00 to me. Who then suffers. The studio got paid when the original person bought the Bluray and DC. He can do with it what he wishes as he now owns the copy (this is evident by the second hand stores across the USA who buy and sell used dvd's and Blurays). They buy em for pennies sell them for dollars and it's perfectly legal.

Now the studios get mad that they are not making a profit on the digital copy but they still got paid by the guy who bought the Bluray. Now I buy the DC because I'm not paying 20.00 for a Bluray when I can buy the DC for 5.00 so who loses out here. The studio got paid, the guy who bought the Bluray got paid for his DC (that he legally owns and can sell) which he will not use. The website got paid by me and I saved by paying 5.00 instead of 20.00

It's the same thing as if I had gone to Al's used DVD and bought a DVD for 3.00 the studio got paid for the original sale, the guy who bought the movie got paid when he sold the DVD, the store got paid when I bought the DVD and I get to enjoy the movie and that's perfectly legal.

Agree DRM can suck balls.

The studios cannot do anything about it, because it is covered under the principle of the first sale. I'm also not sure they want to stop it. They've been trying like mad to get people to adopt UV with limited success. There are way more codes in the gray market that can be explained by people selling codes from retail purchases. I suspect that the studios are selling codes on the sly to move content.

Haywood said:
There are way more codes in the gray market that can be explained by people selling codes from retail purchases. I suspect that the studios are selling codes on the sly to move content.

Interesting. They may be thinking "Better to sell a legit digital copy for a few bucks and get this out there rather than make exactly $0." Because whether it's pirated or the consumer just does not consume the media, the end result is the same for the studio: no revenue. If they offer codes at a low price, they at least make something, and the increased costs for them to do so is just about nil.

Akula said:
Haywood said:
There are way more codes in the gray market that can be explained by people selling codes from retail purchases. I suspect that the studios are selling codes on the sly to move content.

Interesting. They may be thinking "Better to sell a legit digital copy for a few bucks and get this out there rather than make exactly $0." Because whether it's pirated or the consumer just does not consume the media, the end result is the same for the studio: no revenue. If they offer codes at a low price, they at least make something, and the increased costs for them to do so is just about nil.

It also gets people more locked into services like Vudu where they can temp you with early releases and sales. I buy a LOT of movies from Vudu on daily, weekly and monthly specials.

Back