• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Goodby Qwickster - Netflix Reconsiders

Re: Hello Qwickster - Netflix Splits Into Two Services

That's what they get for picking a dumb name. :music-rockout:

mzpro5 said:
This may be the best article about the split/change I've read today.

Wired and Tired: The Long View on the New Netflix

printed this out, took this home yesterday, read it on train ride on the way home.

ABSOLUTELY AN AMAZING READ.

thank you mzpro. that made my day.

i am now considering blockbuster. even if we dont have one around here, nor do any of my devices support it, i will check it out. i also have amazon anyways.

... and now, goodbye Qwickster! According to an e-mail I just got, NF is now back to staying as a single company. Wish they'd just make up their f'in minds! Guess they're being tossed about a lot by customer outrage.

Stock price before this was down 60% since July! At this point, Reed Hastings is just trying to keep his job.

PaulyT said:
... and now, goodbye Qwickster! According to an e-mail I just got, NF is now back to staying as a single company. Wish they'd just make up their f'in minds! Guess they're being tossed about a lot by customer outrage.

Wow... A bunch of people complain and so they reconsider? Sure, I can appreciate a company that listens to its customers. But this reeks of a company that lacks direction. Or balls. Perhaps both.

Kazaam said:
PaulyT said:

Wow... A bunch of people complain and so they reconsider? Sure, I can appreciate a company that listens to its customers. But this reeks of a company that lacks direction. Or balls. Perhaps both.

I know I've said it before but this fiasco will be taught for years in Business Schools as the perfect example of how to kill a successful business.

Kazaam said:
It wasn't the complaints, it was the cancellations. ;)

Botch said:
Kazaam said:
It wasn't the complaints, it was the cancellations. ;)

And the drop in the stock price.

Neflix orginal business model was based on by mail DVD rental, the goose that laid the golden egg. Renaming that service, Qwikster, and having two websites, is a good way to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Reed Hastings is a moron and should resign.

Rope

Rope said:
Neflix orginal business model was based on by mail DVD rental, the goose that laid the golden egg. Renaming that service, Qwikster, and having two websites, is a good way to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Reed Hastings is a moron and should resign.

Rope

Actually... Netflix's original business model was selling DVDs too. If Business schools are going to teach Netflix as a model of how to kill a company, they cant ignore what they've done to get here. Essentially, it was the same thing. By the end of their first summer more than 90% of their revenue was from sales, not rentals. Reed Hastings (the moron who helped build a huge company) and Marc Randalph realized that competing with Walmart, Amzon and others was not sustainable. Running both business meant they had to have different landing pages, different order flows, and different transactions. They knew that doing one thing very well would be better than being "okay" at two things. They took the very dramatic move to kill their Golden Egg Laying Goose and focus on running the one business that they though was the future of their industry.

:text-link:

NF is in a business that inherently changes rapidly with popular trends. Yeah, I can see both sides. It's annoying that they've changed their minds so many times. But yes, they've managed to stay alive and thrive, at least till now, and who knows they may yet pull through. It just makes me happy that I'm not in the media business, and have a boring but reasonably stable government science job. (Boring to the outside world, that is; mostly I enjoy it, except for budget cuts of late.)

The simple fact is, Netflix made the bulk of their revenue from DVD by mail rental, not streaming or DVD sales. That's not to say streaming won't be a big part of their revenue in the future. However, the indecisiveness, name change banter, and price increase, not in increments, but one fail swoop, will have a lasting effect. If Reed were a proactive decision maker, he would have foreseen the rate increase to streaming, which should have provoked small incremental price increases, which most consumers, either don't notice, or don't care.

I'm consdering signing with Block Buster for Blu-ray rental.

Rope

Back