• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Grammy Awards 2021

Wardsweb

Renaissance man
I tried watching the Grammy Awards and found my age showing. I could name the number of artists I knew on one hand. That and most of the music is not what I listen to or would ever buy. Just an old dude out of touch with what kids want these days.

I try to watch it every year, since I don't play live anymore and listen to the "RealJazz" channel on Sirius, but like to be at least familiar with what's going on with the kids now. Beyoncè set a couple records for total # of awards, and I don't think I could name one of her songs. I did really enjoy a collaboration between Bruno Mars and some other guy (silk-something? thought I wrote it down but can't find it now), but they were very retro (down to their 70's suits). I'll be looking for their CD.
And, not part of the show, but Snarky Puppy got a Grammy for "Best Contemporary Instrumental Album"; good on them! Right now its available on a double-CD (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) but I'm holding out, hoping they release a Bluray. Many of their earlier albums were released in an odd format: Bluray, of them playing in the studio (simultaneously) while they filled the studio with fans, all listening on headphones. No crowd noises until the end of the tune (applause), so I'm hoping they video'd their show at the RAH.
The "In Memorium" section was gut-wrenching, to me; too many losses this year. :crying:

no one mentioned BTS.
For good reason!!! They have been on my daughters play least around here for at LEAST a year. Her and a friend were supposed to see them in Toronto way back in ,I think, May of 2020.
As for the Grammys. I don't watch cuz I am so out of touch (my kids and wifes words) with modern popular music. Did you know there is a Grammy for best liner notes? WTF. I have been listening to The Strokes newest album, The New Abnormal, on Amazon Music lately. Apparently it won best rock album.

I try to watch it every year, since I don't play live anymore and listen to the "RealJazz" channel on Sirius, but like to be at least familiar with what's going on with the kids now. Beyoncè set a couple records for total # of awards, and I don't think I could name one of her songs. I did really enjoy a collaboration between Bruno Mars and some other guy (silk-something? thought I wrote it down but can't find it now), but they were very retro (down to their 70's suits). I'll be looking for their CD.
And, not part of the show, but Snarky Puppy got a Grammy for "Best Contemporary Instrumental Album"; good on them! Right now its available on a double-CD (Live at the Royal Albert Hall) but I'm holding out, hoping they release a Bluray. Many of their earlier albums were released in an odd format: Bluray, of them playing in the studio (simultaneously) while they filled the studio with fans, all listening on headphones. No crowd noises until the end of the tune (applause), so I'm hoping they video'd their show at the RAH.
The "In Memorium" section was gut-wrenching, to me; too many losses this year. :crying:

I heard this morning that there was no mention of Eddie VanHalen's passing.................

Thanks for the clarification.............

"What hurt the most was that he wasn't even mentioned when they talked about artists we lost in the beginning of the show," Wolfgang noted. "I know rock isn't the most popular genre right now, (and the academy does seem a bit out of touch) but I think it's impossible to ignore the legacy my father left on the instrument, the world of rock, and music in general. There will never be another innovator like him."

I am late to the party, as I think she was nominated for 6 awards this past Grammy's, but I've recently become a big fan of Phoebe Bridgers. Anyone else a fan? I feel like she's the next Ryan Adams.

I am late to the party, as I think she was nominated for 6 awards this past Grammy's, but I've recently become a big fan of Phoebe Bridgers. Anyone else a fan? I feel like she's the next Ryan Adams.
Who's Ryan Adams?

Who's Ryan Adams?
He's a deeply flawed indie rock icon. Great songwriter and performer but has some real character issues.

And now that I google Phoebe a bit more I see that she is one of the women who has been on the wrong end of some of Ryan Adam's abuse and mistreatment of young up and coming musicians.

Back