• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Handshake issue with Onkyo TX-SR705 reciever

Srvy

Well Ive had this receiver for 4 years no issues suddenly one day out the blue it wont display WII video and the Onkyo on screen menu. I get a message cannot display please change resolution on TV. The TV is a Samsung Plasma PN50C550. the TV is hooked by HDMI to Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD cable box and the cable box to the receiver. It worked all fine but now i just don't know Ive checked setting its OK. All other works fine PS3, ROKO XD, Broadcast Cable. The stuff that displays at 480P seems to be the problem the WII settings are on 480P. When i connect Wii directly to TV HDMI it displays fine. I don't know if the chip is not changing to the lower resolution or not. Anyone ever had an issue like this or any ideas.

Srvy said:
When i connect Wii directly to TV HDMI it displays fine.
How is that even possible? The Wiis only have composite and component outputs.

Yes my mistake it is connected component into TV direct and it works fine. When connected to component into Onkyo it doesnt display. Sorry the confusion.

Then the problem is clearly in the Onkyo. What precisely that problem is, I don't know (yet).

If you haven't already done so, unplug its power cord from the electrical outlet and leave it unplugged for a few minutes. Plug it back in, turn it on and see if the problem persists.

I will try that when i get home.

Last nite i was frustrated so I reset Onkyo back to factory defaults and redid all inputs still same issue.

Zing said:
If you haven't already done so, unplug its power cord from the electrical outlet and leave it unplugged for a few minutes. Plug it back in, turn it on and see if the problem persists.
This; and I'd do it with every component in the chain at once.

And try swapping inputs around; on my old onkyo 606 and my current 885, different ports (at least with HDMI inputs) behaved differently, despite the fact that they're supposed to all be identical and programmable.

I had the same issue briefly while using the Wii in the theater allowing the preamp (onkyo 5507) to upconvert. Had music but no picture. I set that particular input back to default and then reassigned it. It began working without powering down the preamp or unplugging it. I'm baffled because it sounds like you've already tried that....

Yes but I kept the same ports maybe ill switch them a bit see what happens. Also will unplug all and see if that does the trick after work.

The 05 series are having problems now (seeing it alot over at AVS) because the individual connection ports are stating to fail. As you mentiond try other inputs as the failure seems to be with the individual inputs and not the processing chip itself. My 805 has had issues with HDMI 1 it failed, I sent it in to Onkyp repair to fix, it worked for a couple months and failed again. I just said, F it and don't use that input. So far (knock on wood) all others are working fine. The issue is the constant heat these 05 series is dealing with and the soldering that was done in production is starting to see these units fail. I have had mine with a dual computer fans blowing cool air in and warm air out since I bought it along with a 5" clip fan blowing air across the top. I can now watch two movies and place my hand on top and the unit is very cool to the touch, but for those who don't use fans (especially where the video processing chips are located) will see intense heat generated.

You may take the unit to any stereo repair place and see if they will resolder the connection ports to prolong the life.

Well I unplugged everything from outlet last night waited a few hours plugged back in still same issues.

Tonight or Saturday Ill begin reassigning ports again and change them up if that doesn't work off for repairs.

Back