• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Harmony 900 - Setup Question

The DirtMerchant

Famous
It isn't really an initial setup question, but...

From All-Off, when I tap any of the macros the display, processor, A/V switch etc all turn on.
The last command I have sent is the one to put the display on the correct input (Video 7).
However, the final command is sent before the TV is truly on (30 sec - 1 min warmup) and thus
I don't think any secondary commands (after ON) are received. Therefore, if I happened to have
been on Video 8 when I shut down, once everything is up and running in the "next" round, it stays
there instead of moving to Video 7. I'm well past my 90 day call Logitech...so, what is the workaround
in the macro? I know I can press "Help" and it cycles through the commands again, but it would be
great if it worked the first time.

Dude... :text-welcomeconfetti: it's about time you showed. We were getting worried.

When you create a macro - or in this case edit - can you insert a pause or a delay? If not, what if you reorganize the commands so that the TV power on is first and the input selection is last? Would that give the TV ample time to switch inputs?

There's a setting for that where you tell the Harmony software how long it takes after the Power-On command before the tv can start receiving other commands. I'm heading into the software now to find exactly where it is and what it's called...

Go to the 'Devices' tab
Select the 'Settings' button for your TV
Select 'Adjust the delays (speed settings)'

For a reference point, the Power On Delay for my Dell plasma is 14000 ms.

If you hit the Support button in the top right you'll get the following help:
I don't know which speed setting to modify. What do I choose?

Power On Delay. When a device receives a PowerOn command, it takes a certain amount of time to "warm up" the device and resume normal operation. For most devices this happens very quickly, but for some devices, such as televisions and receivers, it can take up to 3000 milliseconds (three seconds).

Inter-key Delay. When a device receives an infrared command the device is considered"busy" while it processes the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another command is known as the inter-key delay, and normally ranges from zero to 300 milliseconds. Devices with long inter-key delays take longer to respond to multiple infrared commands (e.g., when changing television channels).

Input Delay. When a device switches inputs (e.g. goes from Video 1 to Video 2) the device is considered "busy" while it processes the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another switch input command is known as the input delay, and normally ranges from 500 to 3000 milliseconds. Devices with long input delays take longer to change inputs.

Inter-Device Delay. When an infrared command is sent for a particular device, each device in your system will receive the command, but only one will respond to it. The other devices will ignore the infrared command. Sometimes, when this happens, a device will ignore the infrared signal and then stop accepting infrared commands for a period of time. This period of time is known as the inter-device delay. During this time no infrared signals are generated by the remote. In rare cases this delay can be several seconds.

CMonster said:
Go to the 'Devices' tab

Power On Delay. When a device receives a PowerOn command, it takes a certain amount of time to "warm up" the device and resume normal operation. For most devices this happens very quickly, but for some devices, such as televisions and receivers, it can take up to 3000 milliseconds (three seconds).

Inter-key Delay. When a device receives an infrared command the device is considered"busy" while it processes the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another command is known as the inter-key delay, and normally ranges from zero to 300 milliseconds. Devices with long inter-key delays take longer to respond to multiple infrared commands (e.g., when changing television channels).

Input Delay. When a device switches inputs (e.g. goes from Video 1 to Video 2) the device is considered "busy" while it processes the command. The amount of time required before the device will respond to another switch input command is known as the input delay, and normally ranges from 500 to 3000 milliseconds. Devices with long input delays take longer to change inputs.

Inter-Device Delay. When an infrared command is sent for a particular device, each device in your system will receive the command, but only one will respond to it. The other devices will ignore the infrared command. Sometimes, when this happens, a device will ignore the infrared signal and then stop accepting infrared commands for a period of time. This period of time is known as the inter-device delay. During this time no infrared signals are generated by the remote. In rare cases this delay can be several seconds.

Sweet. I saw this while I was wandering around in the setup program, and had increased the delay, but not up to 14000ms...which I'm guessing is in the vicinity of where my display is. Probably even more. I'll hit that up this evening and let you know the results.

Zing said:
Dude... :text-welcomeconfetti: it's about time you showed. We were getting worried.

When you create a macro - or in this case edit - can you insert a pause or a delay? If not, what if you reorganize the commands so that the TV power on is first and the input selection is last? Would that give the TV ample time to switch inputs?

Thanks for the welcome. :text-imnewhere:

I wouldn't want to get left behind. The old place has nothing going on anymore...ah well.
Plus I got confused between the Audio Karma and Audio Annex and where people were going...
Looks like I'll stick here, don't want to confuse myself w/ 2 places to go.

The FriDane thread is :text-bravo: :text-coolphotos: :banana-gotpics:
JAW-dropping.

The DirtMerchant said:
The FriDane thread is :text-bravo: :text-coolphotos: :banana-gotpics:
JAW-dropping.
Among other things... Welcome DM! :text-welcomeconfetti:

The DirtMerchant said:
CMonster said:
Go to the 'Devices' tab

This is working out well. I upped the delay to 20000 ms and the input now changes during the "initial" startup. I'm going to slowly drop the delay over time. Is this type of delay not published anywhere? That would make it alot easier for me....ah well. As it stands, I'm happy that it is working as expected.

Sweet. I saw this while I was wandering around in the setup program, and had increased the delay, but not up to 14000ms...which I'm guessing is in the vicinity of where my display is. Probably even more. I'll hit that up this evening and let you know the results.

The DirtMerchant said:
The DirtMerchant said:
CMonster said:
Go to the 'Devices' tab

This is working out well. I upped the delay to 20000 ms and the input now changes during the "initial" startup. I'm going to slowly drop the delay over time. Is this type of delay not published anywhere? That would make it alot easier for me....ah well. As it stands, I'm happy that it is working as expected.

Interesting, I swear I had put some text at the bottom of the reply above...anyway...

Working like a charm. I upped the input delay to 20000ms and it gets the job done. Now I will slowly bring that delay down to the lowest possible level. I'll search for it, but is this something that is posted out on the interweb somewhere? Would make things much easier...

Back