• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Harmony 900 Swollen Battery (Replaced) What to do with old?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
So I have the "Swollen Battery" issue in which the battery is completely stuck inside
the remote and completely not removeable (unless I take the remote apart). They
are, happily, sending me a new one (nice move Logitech!).

So, I don't think they will be sending me the whole shebang (RF Receivers + Blasters),
and assuming that is true...can I still use the old remote? Once I get replacement,
I expect to take the remote apart, remove the battery, and buy a new one (Amazon
lists some for $6). This still functions as a regular IR remote, right? I think the problem
is that the logitech website/app will no longer allow updates of this remote...Is there a way
to get around that? I'd like to use it as a remote in my bedroom setup if at all possible.

Guess it would have helped if I had setup the remote previously to handle all the hardware in
my bedroom too, as logitech says "You can use it with the existing configuration until you receive the replacement product. Kindly dispose of the unit after you receive the replacement product."

Re: Harmony 900 Swollen Battery (Replaced) What to do with o

I have a swollen battery too, but that's another thread.

What if I owned two 900s, one for the bedroom, the other for my home theater?

If you successfully get the swollen battery removed and the remote is still functional. I'd bet two bits to a dog turd, and hold the stakes in my mouth you can setup two accounts with different settings for each remote.

Rope

I'd like to believe you Rope, but since Logitech said "Please note that your original defective unit has been disabled from our system. Any update on this product is not possible. " that I will not be able to make any changes.

I think if I had all the hardware programmed in already, it would be fine in the other room...

Wish I had known that before I called about the battery issue. Would have set it up and just
have a 2nd I could never update...

The DirtMerchant said:
I'd like to believe you Rope, but since Logitech said "Please note that your original defective unit has been disabled from our system. Any update on this product is not possible. " that I will not be able to make any changes.

I think if I had all the hardware programmed in already, it would be fine in the other room...

Wish I had known that before I called about the battery issue. Would have set it up and just

Program the new remote for the bedroom.

Rope

Rope said:
The DirtMerchant said:

Program the new remote for the bedroom.

Rope

That will probably be the outcome, but the heavy use is in the Living Room, and thus wanted to have the newer one there.
But...beggars that get free shit can't be choosers.

I don't see why you can't just set up another account for the 2nd remote, but anyway...

Edit the current program to make it the bedroom system. Then program the bedroom remote. Next, edit the same program and make it the living room, again. Finally, drop the new living room program into the new remote.

John

I'll let you know how this all works out. Just got the new remote (the whole shebang, RF receiver/blasters).
I love when customer service is done at a high level.

Hoping that "your original defective unit has been disabled from our system" means I just can't get firmware updates.
Hope I have some time in the next day or so to do the setup.

I've only programmed one 900 and don't remember how Harmony does channels or frequencies. Can you assign different channels for the different remotes?

John

Soooo...Logitech does not allow an update of any sort to take place on the old remote.
I can't add/change/update/move/update anything at all on the original. I can still use it as
is, but that's it.

Looks like I'll put the new remote in the bedroom and keep the old one downstairs with the main system.

Wish I had known this beforehand. Would have programmed it with everything prior to calling tech support.

Oh well.

Anyone know an functioning workaround?

Back