• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Has the internet changed the used audio market?

Randy

Superstar
So, is it the fact that everyone can reach a much broader audience and basically do their own free advertising?

In general when I see the prices of used stuff I just think most people are way out of line.

I always figured half of new if it were in pristine condition and then it only went down from there.

My reasoning is you can, or at least could I havent bought anything in so long I am out of touch, almost always get 20 points off of new and that comes with a warranty. Why would I pay more than 50%, or more, of new for something used with no warranty. For another 20-30% I can get something brand new that I know hasn't been abused and the peace of mind of a warranty.

So, I was killin some time and looking at amps and I thought about posting this to get some other opinions.

Like most things in life, it isn't black and white. There is a lot of grey. The internet does allow you to reach a greater audience but it also means you reach a lot of idiots. Buying or selling, you have to do your homework. Research and know the value of what you have, what issues may be common and condition is #1. Just because people on Ebay are asking stupid money, doesn't mean that is what it is worth. I see that a lot from sellers. I like HiFiShark to get an idea of what people are asking and getting. USAudiomart is another good place to check. Facebook market place, estate sales and Craig's List are hit or miss. Deals go quick because resellers or "flippers" are on daily looking to pick something up cheap and make a buck selling it. I ran into that last week. Saw a Electro Voice Regency III speaker. Flipper got it and put it on Ebay for $999 two days later.

Personally, I have found higher end gear can be had reasonably and it has been taken care of and usually comes with the original packaging. Audiophiles are meticulous with their gear. Picking up something a year old, because they want the latest whiz bang, for half the original price is a great deal. I recently got a pair of Quad 2905 electrostat speakers (MSRP $12K) for free. The pediatric cardiologist bought new speakers and wanted someone to take the old ones away. It wasn't about money. He didn't need it. He wanted to pass on some good karma and they were to big for him to move.

Like most things in life, it isn't black and white. There is a lot of grey. The internet does allow you to reach a greater audience but it also means you reach a lot of idiots. Buying or selling, you have to do your homework. Research and know the value of what you have, what issues may be common and condition is #1. Just because people on Ebay are asking stupid money, doesn't mean that is what it is worth. I see that a lot from sellers. I like HiFiShark to get an idea of what people are asking and getting. USAudiomart is another good place to check. Facebook market place, estate sales and Craig's List are hit or miss. Deals go quick because resellers or "flippers" are on daily looking to pick something up cheap and make a buck selling it. I ran into that last week. Saw a Electro Voice Regency III speaker. Flipper got it and put it on Ebay for $999 two days later.

Personally, I have found higher end gear can be had reasonably and it has been taken care of and usually comes with the original packaging. Audiophiles are meticulous with their gear. Picking up something a year old, because they want the latest whiz bang, for half the original price is a great deal. I recently got a pair of Quad 2905 electrostat speakers (MSRP $12K) for free. The pediatric cardiologist bought new speakers and wanted someone to take the old ones away. It wasn't about money. He didn't need it. He wanted to pass on some good karma and they were to big for him to move.

Many great points made there WW, I wonder if price point makes a difference. And, I guess that kinda goes back to my point. I would pay premium dollars for high end gear, but people are asking 85% of retail for their used entry level receivers and sound bars.

And, I used the Wow emoji because good on you for the deal on the speakers and good on him for having altruistic motives, If you decide to do that with any of your gear, I just PM'ed you my address and I would love to help you have some great karma.

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/

I actually bought and sold gear through The Music Room. Pricing in some instances are fair, no screaming deals though. It was over 5 years ago, when I think they were just starting out. It looks like now they sell new gear as well.

To me with used gear, it's buyer beware............

I bought 3 used Bryston, two used Parasound amps on CanuckAudiomart. That was almost 10 years ago!! They are still chugging along.

Back