• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Haywood's New Master Bedroom System

Haywood

Famous
IMG_20150318_202600505_zpsr2nceg2q.jpg

32" 720p TCL Roku TV
Pioneer SP-SB03 Soundbase

I am not going to lie here. The picture quality on this TV is no match for the Samsung in my kitchen, but it was a lot less expensive and I did not expect it to be. I would rate it as very acceptable for casual use and I am happy with it for what I bought it for. I love the fact that the Roku is fully integrated into the set, which means there is no need for any source components.

I am quite happy with the performance of the Pioneer. It is a pretty decent sized speaker to the point that my wife complained about it slightly, but it produces nice clean output and enough bass that I am not pining for a subwoofer. It is definitely best for TV and movies, but the music performance is more than acceptable for the bedroom. It is certainly way better than any of the portable solutions in the house. I would say it is on par with a pair of typical $250 bookshelf speakers. I really like this solution because I don't need a sub, it fits under the TV, it has Bluetooth, it can learn commands from the TV remote and it has both optical and analog inputs.

This system is insanely easy to setup and use, takes very little space, covers all of my bedroom media needs and I am absolutely thrilled with it for the $370 I spent on it. The only plans I have for the future are adding a Squeezebox Classic.

I should also note that this is a very solid speaker that can hold a much heavier TV than the one I am using. It is wood composite with decent looking black wood grain veneer. The front panel is pretty simple with hard buttons for all of the major functions. The included remote isn't going to win any awards, but most people will probably not use it very much.

I have not played with the virtual surround stuff, because I sit so far off axis.

That looks very nice. I am curious as to how you will like it over time.

I think the soundbar type option will be a viable option for many.

I suspect I will upgrade the TV at some point (and move the current one to one of the kid's rooms), but I think the sound base will be around for a very long time. I am pretty impressed with how good it sounds considering ease of use and footprint.

I just added a Squeezebox to the system via the analog input on the Pioneer. I spent some time listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan and have to say that I remain quite pleased with this speaker.

on a sidenote, I lovet he cabinet. my mom has a good number of em and they aint cheap.

I was also considering the pioneer option. I think at this point, I didn't want to meddle around with a AVR and a soundbar I had got for free (polk heavy ass LCR)

anyways, great setup! does it have any ports tho?

I bought the cabinet at a Midopa department store when I was living in Seoul. It is one of my favorite things we brought back.

Yes, the Pioneer has a ported enclosure. It also has two down-firing woofers. They look like 5.25" drivers.

I did not want to deal with a receiver in the bedroom either. This has an optical input, an analog input and Bluetooth, so it covers all of the bases.

Haywood said:
I bought the cabinet at a Midopa department store when I was living in Seoul. It is one of my favorite things we brought back.

Yes, the Pioneer has a ported enclosure. It also has two down-firing woofers. They look like 5.25" drivers.

I did not want to deal with a receiver in the bedroom either. This has an optical input, an analog input and Bluetooth, so it covers all of the bases.

you sure it covers all that bass??? :happy-smileygiantred:

kidding aside, how much did you pay for the pioneer thingy? sparked my interest. but also makes me sad too. I had a Cambridge soundworks 2.1 setup, I was going to use for the bedroom, but find myself with TONS of speakers/components I don't use anymore. I was going to start a thread about that too.

anyways, I love those cabinets. I saw one of my moms got chipped and it definitely broke my heart.

The Pioneer goes for $350 at Crutchfield. Amazon has it for $219. I got it on Woot for $179 ($196 including tax and shipping).

Haywood said:
The Pioneer goes for $350 at Crutchfield. Amazon has it for $219. I got it on Woot for $179 ($196 including tax and shipping).

thanks bro, this makes me want one if i can at lower cost. man, im a cheapskate compared to yall...

jomari said:
Haywood said:

thanks bro, this makes me want one if i can at lower cost. man, im a cheapskate compared to yall...

This entire setup was less than $370 shipped with tax, including the TV.

Back