• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HD Video Streaming and Routers

Haywood

Famous
The WiFi television thread got me thinking about something I learned over the holidays with my own setup. I had been having quite a few issues with my non-wired Roku boxes both caching and crashing, especially when streaming local media. I read a lot of comments online indicating that Roku boxes really need to be hardwired for consistent, stable streaming performance and assumed that they simply did not work well over WiFi. I started looking at Ethernet over coax as a possible solution.

Since switching to Comcast, I had been having issues with my WiFi dropping devices and not being able to reconnect without rebooting the gateway box. These issues just kept getting worse over time until I got fed up and decided to buy my own equipment. I have a lot of devices and wanted to invest in the best possible router. I looked at 801.11ac devices, but quickly ruled them out. I don't have any ac devices and all of the ac routers had compromised 801.11n performance. I ended up settling on a well-reviewed ASUS N900 router.

Here is where it gets interesting. The Roku problem pre-dated the Comcast gateway issues and I did not expect the new router to solve that particular issue, but it did. I have not had any issues with wireless streaming to any device since I invested in a higher-end high speed router. I've had multiple HD streams going over my network simultaneously in combination with other traffic and have not had so much as a hiccup. It looks like solid, reliable 1080p streaming over WiFi is completely doable if you invest in the right router.

Router firmware is another consideration. If your router is not outdated and capable delivering throughput from the gateway, firmware can make a BIG difference in the WiFi distribution speed. The folks at http://wrt.com/ built great firmware flashes for your router.

I also use KomKrap and had issues with WiFi dropout, that is until I flashed my Linksys E2000 with a firmware build from the folks at wrt.

Rope

Haywood, can you stream full bluray rip mkv files on your network?

And yeah, Comcast has always had crap equipment. I hated them with a passion when I had them when we didn't have other choices.

lulimet said:
Haywood, can you stream full bluray rip mkv files on your network?

And yeah, Comcast has always had crap equipment. I hated them with a passion when I had them when we didn't have other choices.

I have not tried to stream a full uncompressed Blu-Ray rip. What I have been streaming is Vudu HDX 1080p streams, Netflix 1080p streams and local media that is mostly ripped to high quality 720p with DD 5.1 audio with file sizes hovering around 5-8GB.

The router I bought also has some basic NAS capabilities, so I moved the 4TB external hard drive that I keep my media on to the router with very good results.

Back