• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

HD400 versus HD598

mcad64

So here is my conundrum. I have an old (30ish years) pair of Sennheiser HD400's. Problem is the yellow foam has perished. I can get replacement foam off amazon for probably 30 bucks. Is it worth it? Do these cones wear out/dry out over time (excuse my ignorance). I loved them back in the day. Fast forward, and I saw a thread comparing some AKG and this particular pair of Senn's I was looking at on amazon, the 598's. They list on the Sennheiser Canada website for $379. Amazon selling for $242!! Would it be worth it? No headphone amp at this point. Lastly, are headphones like speakers in that I should probably go try some on my actual noggin to see how they feel/sound?
Thanks,
Mike

On the last point - definitely yes, you can read specs and reviews and opinions all day long, but in the end you don't know until you've tried.

On the other points I don't really know much about the Senn line... I owned an HD580 I think it was, a while ago, didn't care for it much, so never really explored the others. As mentioned in other threads, you can always try head-fi to see what's being sold in your price range, might get lucky and find some Canadian sellers...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/over-ear

http://www.head-fi.org/f/6550/headphones-for-sale-trade

I'd put the new foam pads on. Chances are you'd want to fix them regardless of buying new headphones, either as a second pair or to sell them.

Flint said:
I'd put the new foam pads on. Chances are you'd want to fix them regardless of buying new headphones, either as a second pair or to sell them.
So they won't have lost any fidelity (not sure if that's the proper term) sitting around for 25 years without covers (such that they are)?

Pauly,
I have bought used amps and used speakers. I don't think I would buy used headphones...maybe I am a bit of a germaphobe? :scared-eek:

Do a JeffMackwood - order them to the states, and drive down somewhere and pick them up! :laughing:

mcad64 said:
Pauly,
I have bought used amps and used speakers. I don't think I would buy used headphones...maybe I am a bit of a germaphobe? :scared-eek:

New ear pads should run around $20.00 depending on the HPs.

Rope

mcad64 said:
So here is my conundrum. I have an old (30ish years) pair of Sennheiser HD400's. Problem is the yellow foam has perished. I can get replacement foam off amazon for probably 30 bucks. Is it worth it? Do these cones wear out/dry out over time (excuse my ignorance). I loved them back in the day. Fast forward, and I saw a thread comparing some AKG and this particular pair of Senn's I was looking at on amazon, the 598's. They list on the Sennheiser Canada website for $379. Amazon selling for $242!! Would it be worth it? No headphone amp at this point. Lastly, are headphones like speakers in that I should probably go try some on my actual noggin to see how they feel/sound?
Thanks,
Mike

Every HP has a unique sound signiture, if you're fond of the 400's replace the ear pads. If not, audition the 600's, if you think they're the cats meow and would like to own them. I would entertain purchasing the 600 and shipping them to Canada. However, I'm not certain the shipping charges to Canada and perhaps that's a deal breaker?

Rope

The 598's are fantastic but I agree that a jump to the 600's would be well worth it.

So I decided to buy the foam pads to start. Makes sense just to spend 15 bucks to see if I am still inclined to sit in one place for an hour's listening session, versus speakers cranked as I move about the house. If old HD400 sound like crap or if I am still inclined to sit and listen then maybe an upgrade is warranted. I think this makes the most sense. Money saved to be spent elsewhere!! :eusa-clap:
Mike

Thanks,
Mike
Big BUMP Mike.

The HD 598 Cs are on sale at Amazon.ca for another 7+ hours for $110C ($100US on Amazon.com) which is a terrific price! (That's actually about $81US once converted!)

I'm thinking of nabbing a pair.

Hope you see this in time.

Jeff

Big BUMP Mike.

The HD 598 Cs are on sale at Amazon.ca for another 7+ hours for $110C ($100US on Amazon.com) which is a terrific price! (That's actually about $81US once converted!)

I'm thinking of nabbing a pair.

Hope you see this in time.

Jeff
Crap...just saw your post Saturday morning!!!! They are showing 299. Why didn't I think of Amazon for Black Friday Sales...instead of going to a local mall and driving my self insane!!! Thanks for the heads up anyway!!
Mike

Mike,

You get another shot at them today - sort of.

Both the HD 598 (Special Edition) and the HD 598 (Burl Wood Accents) - which are acoustically identical (but not the same as the HD 598 Cs from last Monday - which is a closed-back, instead of open-back, design) are on sale for Cyber Monday for $180C (instead of $390C) on Amazon.ca.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD...m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_r=X87E0P2SZ5ZNR14PF1KS

Jeff
Jeff,
Just saw your post. You are killing me!! I have a few hours to mull this over. I kind of like the Burl Wood accents!!
Mike

Was looking at my old (circa early 80's) Sennheiser HD400's and noticed this:

NnnQ7gda_B5hdI0B2ABzjF9w_AeDEYzOsv8K94dfvrc-O_q8Lu5RoQuIL1G3zejbX1IjzoWQ56_4B1i2d8bfV3fJu-BzvK1GqrXoti9iNRndEY6wx_apX9qQUSYhOMsU3b-Lnmmu5judTOg_iIRnFSeOb-T3y5mW-xwZxotLhPuJvLJ9oLnFKEbeJGJkcPMHISxFEkb60SB1eWsyqkprwBa868Squ-DZL1G-so6gS9wi9gukB3tYpqq0fzNdhxwVMPRCeSnjYPfNN1jg4vYJjIxwdWOLMGrJlxYZoWz79ymt3c8eJL3lDWk__QdH55MVoQsIv08zgeuopgm9qzJfxTT2wjDGPWnxgwUwvo_D6NJNOPiRDrcju9_Sfl7aFqqrXRt2T2PVuibsRxult93wQ71pLwLpES04IXWweMQOn_9hBo5gZIwDtqjywihhKkliyZ2YiPFW2YfifGkhi6ebm4brQ9_MFckLPbxaPZtH5K_aAt5QFTTAA31WXSre7kqyYxMJhkMi6NQCtCX68cqOFy-dMKxQvez5-0xzzcNcgU94J9E16djAMn4fmcqfw_2ynjCc4Jo7LRAaStojMWXixajcd7kmEj0iYNwKdawH2D_1RnI3=w1333-h886-no

The foam around the speaker has started to perish. You will also notice that I did not get the correct replacement ear pads!! I still love these headphones, and would love to pass them down to my son. I am wondering if that foam piece(someone with some technical expertise please step in) could possibly be replaced? In the meantime, I guess I am going to have to go out and order the HD 598's that Jeff referenced above...I have to ....right!!???
Mike

Back