• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Headbanger's Hangout

Is there such a thing as heavy metal instrumentals?
Generally speaking I really dig the music but can not stand the growling, screaming vocal style.

Generally speaking I really dig the music but can not stand the growling, screaming vocal style.
I seem to remember seeing that Arch Enemies will be opening for Dream Theater on their 2022 tour, but I haven't been able to confirm. I too don't care for the "Cookie Monster" vocal style; Tom if you haven't, check out DT; they're a bit less heavy but more prog, and one of my favorites.

i
It depends on the genre/sub-genre, Swedish melodic death metal Im not sure.

However, Metallica has a lot of killer instrumentals. Metallica also being one of the more popular.

i
It depends on the genre/sub-genre, Swedish melodic death metal Im not sure.

However, Metallica has a lot of killer instrumentals. Metallica also being one of the more popular.

Metallica was in heavy rotation in my younger days. I'm a fan but while Herfield definitely has some growl in his voice he's still prone to singing vs whatever you call the Cookie Monster thing.

Check out a band called Russian Circles. Super talented musicians and zero singing. Maybe not quite as heavy as some metal bands but still very heavy IMO. Here is a good sample track...

Metallica was in heavy rotation in my younger days. I'm a fan but while Herfield definitely has some growl in his voice he's still prone to singing vs whatever you call the Cookie Monster thing.
Right, I was referring to instrumentals only.
Metallica has a bunch, which are imo many of their best songs.
Orion
Call of Ktulu
Anesthesia

The YouTube rabbit hole is deep with this new Arch Enemy track there are a lot of good spin off videos. Can't wait for the full album release.

Not a Tool fan but as a drummer I seriously appreciate this guy, he is amazing.
Agreed Danny Carey is a tier one master level drummer. Right up there at the top of my favorite metal drummers short list including Bill Ward, Igor Cavalera, Jon Boecklin, Dave Lombardo and a handful of others all with very different styles but favorites none the less. Drumming makes metal IMO. It's what I tune into first. Carey is much more of a precise technician IMO then these other guys. Some of the stuff he does boggles the mind.

Here are some clips of the others...

And still one of my all time reference beast mode metal drumming videos still to this day no one is this ferocious especially on a very basic kit. No one. He murdered that kit that night. Best YouTube comment ever suggests the kit found out it was pregnant the next day.

Not a Tool fan but as a drummer I seriously appreciate this guy, he is amazing.
And as if I couldn't be more of a fan of Danny Carey he is also an awesome guy sitting in on this kids concert as a surprise guest drummer. Fun footage if you have not seen it.

Last edited:
Agreed Danny Carey is a tier one master level drummer. Right up there at the top of my favorite metal drummers short list including Bill Ward, Igor Cavalera, Jon Boecklin, Dave Lombardo and a handful of others all with very different styles but favorites none the less. Drumming makes metal IMO. It's what I tune into first. Carey is much more of a precise technician IMO then these other guys. Some of the stuff he does boggles the mind.

Here are some clips of the others...

And still one of my all time reference beast mode metal drumming videos still to this day no one is this ferocious especially on a very basic kit. No one. He murdered that kit that night. Best YouTube comment ever suggests the kit found out it was pregnant the next day.

Strongest post of the year.

All of those guys are amazing, Black Sabbath bring my all-time faves and Bill Ward being my favorite metal drummer I rank him at the top but the best of those guys are super studs.

How many noticed that was an earlier version of War Pigs (I have the DVD version)?

Lombardo has been my favorite drummer for as long as I can remember. He’s fast, but extremely versatile and his fills are unmatched.
I also really like Nicko Mcbrain from Maiden.

Danny Carey deserves the title for best “metal” drummer alive though, he is freakishly good. Even though I’m not a fan of the band overall I never get bored watching his vids.

Lombardo has been my favorite drummer for as long as I can remember. He’s fast, but extremely versatile and his fills are unmatched.
I also really like Nicko Mcbrain from Maiden.

Danny Carey deserves the title for best “metal” drummer alive though, he is freakishly good. Even though I’m not a fan of the band overall I never get bored watching his vids.
Nicko McBrain I am another rock star among rock stars.

Maiden is probably my second favorite metal band.

I seem to remember seeing that Arch Enemies will be opening for Dream Theater on their 2022 tour, but I haven't been able to confirm.
I saw the ad again on facebook; not Arch Enemy, Arch Echo is opening. My bad.

Back