• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Help - Looking for a receiver - I don't know anything anymore

I looked into ripping SACD at one point, and from what I could tell at the time, it took a specific older model of a ps3 with an older system software version, before they put in protection to prevent that. I don't know if there's any currently available software+hardware combo that can do it. DVD-A OTOH I think can be ripped with standard DVD software, just need some other software that can read the rip and play the audio - dunno if foobar can do that, haven't tried.

I looked into ripping SACD at one point, and from what I could tell at the time, it took a specific older model of a ps3 with an older system software version, before they put in protection to prevent that. I don't know if there's any currently available software+hardware combo that can do it. DVD-A OTOH I think can be ripped with standard DVD software, just need some other software that can read the rip and play the audio - dunno if foobar can do that, haven't tried.

I know that your information on DVD-A is correct. I have not looked into SACD, because I do not have any..

Here's a pretty good summary (with additional links) regarding SACD.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/feature/how-sonys-playstation-3-could-save-your-sacd-collection

Like I said (from Jeff's article):

I’m not going to pretend that getting set up for this ripping process is exactly simple – you need one of a few early PS3 consoles, made before Sony decided to drop SACD playback from the device, and the console needs to be running an early version of the PS3 firmware, namely version 3.55.​

Much as I would like to be able to rip my SACD collection and place it on my server, the process of doing so is complex and relatively expensive, and none of my current streaming devices support DSD. (Quite a number of older Blu-ray streaming players do, including some Sonys. Unfortunately none of mine do.) So for now it's the old fashioned way: walk to basement, get disc, place in machine, and play. :)

Ditto. A $50 used sony BD+SACD player is WAY easier than the ripping thing. I think the only device I have that can (in theory) read SACD rips is the USB DAC that I have in my headphone rig.

If you are going to go with a Marantz, get the 6010. The future-proofing alone makes it worth the extras money. I would not recommend that anyone save a buck by forgoing the new HDMI standard. Those products are cheap because they are already obsolete in an important way.

(posted before I read the whole thread, but still think it's applicable)

What he said... At some point your TV is going to break, or your DVD/Blu-Ray player... everything is HDMI now. And getting the latest version will make this purchase relevant for many more years than relying on the old standards.

I've made my decision. While my main concern is audio, the fact is I'm buying a receiver, a key component in my video watching. So, I can't pretend as if I am just investing my ideal audio set-up. I have been persuaded to look towards the future and buy a receiver that is capable of handling the latest HDMI and HDCP (or whatever it is). I started this thread saying I could be talked into $700 or $800. Well, that was a madman talking. If I were sane, I would have spent $450 or $500 on a receiver that is nicer than any I have had. Instead, I'm compromising with the madman, spending just under $700 after shipping.

For just a bit more than that price, with the help of a kind soul, I could have bought a brand new Marantz 5011 that would done everything I needed it to do--it even had the 7.1 analog inputs that I had placed so much weight on. Despite the fact that I was happy with my Marantz SR7004, I decided that I was already crazy pushing the $700 mark, and so would not go over it (the line must be drawn somewhere, I guess).

Instead, I have bought a receiver that does not have 7.1 analog inputs, but does have all the new HDMI connections and can process the new fancy audio formats. I have purchased the Yamaha RX-A1050. I thought it would be nice to try a new brand. But what really swayed me was...THE FIFTH FOOT:

Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge Helps to Ensure that Vibrations Do Not Affect Sound Quality

0EFD82A17A374A4AB3A4AB5C56C69C9F_12074.jpg

The Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge is a fifth foot in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers.

That Yamaha is a very nice receiver. I suspect that you will be VERY happy with it for a long time. They make great sounding receivers. I have one in my family room system and like it a lot.

I drew my line a bit lower, and had to forego the fifth foot, and failed. The heat sink vibrations which now run rampant through my system have destroyed my Happy Place, I almost cannot listen to music of any kind anymore. Even the Six o'Clock news, the cute weathergirl's delivery of fearsome fronts forecasted jiggled into incoherence.
I weep.
I tried to make substitutions, jamming Q-tips, Kleenex, matchbook covers from Wall Drug of South Dakota, even an unusually narrow doorstop, under the center of my black monolithic yammie, but to no avail; I was applying Stooges fixes to a NASA dilemma, all to save a few rubles. I now wither away in dejected hopelessness.

(and, Mr. German, if you are serious about the fifth foot, please ignore the above as I'm very drunk :D)

But what really swayed me was...THE FIFTH FOOT:

Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge Helps to Ensure that Vibrations Do Not Affect Sound Quality

0EFD82A17A374A4AB3A4AB5C56C69C9F_12074.jpg

The Anti-Resonance Technology Wedge is a fifth foot in the center of the unit. It dampens vibrations from the power transformer, power transistors and heat sinks, as well as vibrations that might be caused by the sound from the speakers.

I think I'm going to puke.

^^^
Because you forgot to include a FIFTH FOOT in your latest amp design?

:)

Jeff

I never did post an update after having lived with the Yamaha for a while, so here it is.

I did not put much effort into setting up this receiver. In the past, I have brought out my microphone and used True RTA to set the levels for each speaker. This time I just used the mic included with the receiver and let the receiver set up the speakers as it saw fit. It is possible to take multiple measurements, but I took just one at the sweet spot. And it sounds really good. In fact, I think the sound stage improved just a bit from my old set up. Not a major change, but the system sounds good and was super easy to set up.

The receiver has plenty of power. I can turn it up to levels that are probably immoral with no issues.

I also like that I can access all the music files on my computer via a wifi connection, even though I do not really use this option. One reason might be that selecting the files is a bit clunky. But usually when I listen, I like to put in the CD and sit down and listen.

Video wise, it is fine I suppose. I am no video file. Our TV is over ten years old.

After two years, I don't have any complaints about the receiver. Well, perhaps one. When I bought it, I was under the impression that I could listen to audio from one source while viewing video from another. If this is possible with this receiver, I have not figured out how to do it (but I must admit I haven't put a ton of effort in trying to figure out how to do this).

I know that's not much of a review. Perhaps it will suffice to say that I went from a pretty nice Marantz receiver to a pretty nice Yamaha receiver and am just as satisfied with the sound as before, if not a little more. And it is nice to finally have HDMI inputs and outputs on the receiver.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

Back