• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Help me choose a new TV

scubabob

My Mits 65" RPTV died for the third time today. The other two repairs were ~$400 each. Bought it either late 1999 or early 2000, so it has been a good run. Budget is $2500. Suggestions on a 70"?

Sharp LC-70UD1U 70-inch Aquos

815b7u%2BeXoL._SX522_.jpg

Rope

Was really hoping this RPTV would last long enough for OLED sets to be commonly available. I like the picture of the Sharp sets. Not too keen on getting a 4k unit now when OLED is right around the corner. Will probably check out some 1080p Sharp sets at TigerDirect in Orlando tomorrow.

You could opt for a great value panel to get by and wait out OLED?

Rope

Went to BB and picked up a 70" Sharp. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-LC-70SQ15U- ... B00HZZZM1K

I'll put up a picture here tomorrow. The BB I go to has a single curved 55" LG 1080p OLED TV next to a bunch of curved LCD 4k TVs (can't remember the brand) and Sony 4k LCD TVs. The OLED TV is simply stunning. It looks like some kind of 35mm 25ASA kodachrome movie at a frame rate that makes motion fluid. "S" type Samsung OLED tablet good, but huge TV. A ~60" TV with the "S" tablet's OLED technology would be in the ballpark of 21540 X 12000 native resolution. OLED is going to wipe LCD TVs off the landscape faster than LCD wiped out CRT.

Hey Bob, nice display! Let us know your opinion when you can!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Congrats, Bob! That'll work, although my crystal ball see's OLED in your future.

Rope

So far the picture on the TV is really nice. The audio section is not so hot, lacking in low-end response. My wife has openly complained about the freq. response of the built-in speakers and wants to cannibalize the old Mits TV speakers for use here since they sound way better. The TV has a headphone jack in the back, so I'll probably move that somehow to the computer speakers on the shelving unit.

You're right, and it's next on the list. I have to get some patch cables to connect the TV to the preamp & computer speakers.

Very nice setup. Looks like you have the same chicken feet stand that the Samsung has. At least yours is black. Mine is bright silver and is beyond ugly. I've ordered the mount for mine from Salamander so I won't have to put up with it for much longer.

Anyhow, congrats and happy viewing. Looks good.

Haywood said:
If it were me, it would be hooked up with those Watt Puppies, LOL.

They're still in his RV because he can't get his to help him get them out of there. So, it looks like his RV is about have a GREAT HT in it.

John

yromj said:
Haywood said:
If it were me, it would be hooked up with those Watt Puppies, LOL.

They're still in his RV because he can't get his to help him get them out of there. So, it looks like his RV is about have a GREAT HT in it.

John

I had my fill of carrying those Watt Puppies and Krell Mono Block amps in and out of that RV................. :angry-cussingblack:

Back