• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Here it comes!

Unless the new displays come with both, I think 3D (sooner or later) is going to take a back seat to things like Facebook, Youtube, Hulu, etc. I'm not as big of a TV watcher as I am a music listener (so take my comments with a grain of salt), but I really like how some of these new displays can access apps like your basic smart phone can. I would take those features over a 3D TV/glasses any day of the week.

Can you imagine, if these new sets don't already have them, having a remote that had a touch screen on it where you can manipulate the media (finger scroll, pinch, etc.) on the remote and see it on the TV? Or better yet, maybe connect to your phone via WiFi so you can send picture and video content from your phone to your TV for viewing? That would be pretty cool.

And yeah, $2800 for a 20" display? Pass..........

Now, put this technology in an iPad, now you've got something...

Botch said:

There are already glassless 3D notebook PCs and 3D smart phones. We expect to see more 3D tablets and smart phones next year.

I saw a demo of a really cool demo of a glassless 3D notebook PC which used the built-in webcam to track the user's eyes and adjust the 3D effect based on where he was in relation to the screen. It was really friggin' cool.

Flint said:
Botch said:

There are already glassless 3D notebook PCs and 3D smart phones. We expect to see more 3D tablets and smart phones next year.

I saw a demo of a really cool demo of a glassless 3D notebook PC which used the built-in webcam to track the user's eyes and adjust the 3D effect based on where he was in relation to the screen. It was really friggin' cool.
The little I've seen of 3D hurts my eyes. The spatial relationships aren't right and the mind tries to interpolate, but the offset isn't consistent or doesn't resolve properly.

When done right 3D is incredible. I am tired of directors trying to blow us away with over the top 3D effects. If they'd just recreate real life, I think we'd all be thorouighy impressed.

I don't see how you could recreate 3D on a phone or iPad. To me, it seems the screens are too small for them and you lose the feeling of being fully immersed. Seems like that would just make them into a glorified Viewmaster.

Yesfan70 said:
I don't see how you could recreate 3D on a phone or iPad. To me, it seems the screens are too small for them and you lose the feeling of being fully immersed. Seems like that would just make them into a glorified Viewmaster.

In fact, it looks really cool and greatly enhances the user experience with the UI. The nicest part is that unlike a TV, you can adjust the viewing angle to ensure perfect 3D imaging.

Flint said:
Yesfan70 said:

In fact, it looks really cool and greatly enhances the user experience with the UI. The nicest part is that unlike a TV, you can adjust the viewing angle to ensure perfect 3D imaging.

For a phone with a 3-4 inch screen, I'm going to assume you pretty much have to paste it to your eyes to get the effect. I'll have to see it firsthand to be convinced.

Back