• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Hey Dane!!

walls

Is the XM5 still available? And how well dose it do with the HD650's?

KTHANKSBYE!! :D

yup XM5 is still available but yes, there is an upgraded version, the XM6(yeah, who-da-thunk). The XM6 has a better DAC section but very similar amp section. I have not heard the XM6.

I have used the XM5 with the HD-650. As you might know, the 650 will impress with a lesser amp but will really shine with a powerhouse. One thing that I always tend to comment about re the HD-650 is its ability to play super-loud while remaining "clean", just capable of dishing out excellent dynamic 'slam'.

So no, the XM5 couldn't match my Woo Audio 3 tube amp for absolute dynamic goodness but it goes many levels above what any DAP (aka:mp3 player) can muster.

The only portable amp that I've used that surpassed the XM5 for ultimate power output was the Ray Samuels SR-71A which uses two 9-volt batteries compared to the single 9-volt with the XM5.

My XM5 has buffer chips(TI BUF634) which bump up the power and I've also changed the stock op-amps to the AD8065 to further enhance its kick-ass ability.

http://www.practicaldevices.com/

Considering that I've owned quite a few portable amps, the XM5 remains with me. Even though the SR-71A amp had more power, it was a featureless amp. The XM5 has a USB DAC, A very nice adjustable cross-feed, Bass and treble boost ( +6 dB. @ 100Hz. , +3 dB. @ 10kHz ), gain switch, +75 Ohm switch (great for Etymotic ER4P). It also has a battery level readout in tenth of volts by way of LED lights in addition to a selectable timer for switching off to conserve battery power. I have the power supply option that allows a lithium battery to be charged inside the amp.

-yeah, a lot of cool stuff packed into a small box...and that's why I still have this amp.

This was when I still had my Yo-Tank Ipod case. Totally overkill, solid aluminum case, freaking $80...just had to have it.

Etymotic ER4P IEM with a ALO line out dock. This was 3 years ago.

2212275670044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

Gonna add the rechargable battery other then that I dont know what would be worth the cash. Ideas?

If you want max power, like for the HD-650 I recommend the TIBUF634...where it says "Output Buffering"- the bottom selection.

Below that are the op-amp choices. I have the AD8065 but I can't remember how each one of those op-amp options will change the sound of the amp. That could always be added later and you can find those op-amps cheaper if you know where to look.

From the XM5 FAQ :

What is the power output of the XM5?

The XM5, when equipped with BUF634 output buffers, is capable of outputting on the order of 1 full watt per channel. When using copper busbars in place of output buffers, the XM5 can output a maximum of 75mW (milliwatts) per channel, when operating into an ideal load of 120 ohms. Since most headphones usually have a sensitivity somewhere around 100dB per 1 milliwatt, the XM5 has plenty of power to spare.

Humour me. What's the reasoning behind using a portable amp to drive the HD 650's?

Rope

Have you never wanted to sit outside on the deck/patio? Walk around the house, sweet sounds uninterrupted? OK, maybe it's just me.

Here's one: Ever want to show a non-headphone friend just how fucking awesome a good headphone can sound...but oh wait, they don't have jack to jack into at their house or maybe somewhere else.

Food for thought.

...and it lets you also take cool pics like this to impress those very friends. :text-imsorry:

2815457830044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

...yeah, that's not the XM5.

GreatDane said:
Have you never wanted to sit outside on the deck/patio? Walk around the house, sweet sounds uninterrupted? OK, maybe it's just me.

Sure, I use my IEMs and Zune.

GreatDane said:
Here's one: Ever want to show a non-headphone friend just how fucking awesome a good headphone can sound...but oh wait, they don't have jack to jack into at their house or maybe somewhere else.

Food for thought.

Yup, and when I show them how terrific good headphones sound, I use an amp that will supply sufficient power to make them perform their best, which requires a trip to where the gear resides.

Rope

GreatDane said:
...and it lets you also take cool pics like this to impress those very friends. :text-imsorry:

2815457830044175878S600x600Q85.jpg

...yeah, that's not the XM5.

You don't own the JVCs anymore, so you're breaking headphone etiquette and rules by making people believe you do. :teasing-neener:

Rope

For me its as simple as wanting to use my old HD650's at my office or on the deck.

Dane, wading through the options now and will most likely order tonight. :banana-dance:

walls said:
For me its as simple as wanting to use my old HD650's at my office or on the deck.

Dane, wading through the options now and will most likely order tonight. :banana-dance:

And?

Are you letting Rope show you up? :evil:

:teasing-neener:

Back