• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

High resolution portable Audio is almost here...

A great read from CNET.

:text-link:

And I don't mean just the headlining topic but the entire article, including all its subtopics.

Towen7 said:
:text-link:

Audio pioneer John Meyer says FLAC is where it's at!

Pono files will be FLAC files that are available at different resolutions like, 192 kHz/24 bit, 96 kHz/24 bit , 44.1 kHz/16 bit. He says just use FLAC. He makes it sound like FLAC is some new audio format. My understanding is that it is just a compression algorithm..albeit a very good one. What he says doesn't make any sense to me!!?? He says using 96 kHz/24 bit is no good if it isn't recorded in 96 kHz/24 bit. The whole idea of Pono is to get (hopefully) the high resolution master in the first place.

Yeah... he makes no sense.

FLAC is just like ZIP or RAR in that it compressed the data through cool coding but in a way which can decoded on the fly for streaming media.

And, he is correct, what matters is the source - even if it was recorded in 192 kHz / 24 bit, if it is massively compressed, limited, over-equalized, and poorly mixed, it will still sound like crap. Think Radiohead, those recordings are terrible regardless of the format.

But, a clean, natural recording with minimal processing captured well with great microphones and great care on the engineers' part, well, that can be amazing.

Flint said:
Think Radiohead, those recordings are terrible regardless of the format.
Uh oh. I think CMonster is going to want to have a word with you. :violence-smack:

Back