• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Higher-Fi: Binaural+In ear monitors

TitaniumTroy

I thought this was interesting http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20026 ... =mncol;txt . Dane or PaulyT if you would please keep this topic updated, thanks. Uncompressed, no equalization, binaural recording done where an IEM would be placed, in a acoustic church space. With the founder of Head-Fi and three high level musicians on tap, Explorations In Time and Space, should sound pretty freaking awesome :music-listening:

Troy

Steve Guttenberg writes for a number of magazines and Web sites, including Home Entertainment, Tone Audio, and Stereophile. He is a member of the CNET Blog Network and is not an employee of CNET

A member posted an email that they had sent Steve Guttenberg regarding room acoustics. He shrugged it off as some audiophile voodoo. He has no credibility in my book, and even CNET puts a disclaimer on his drivel.

Rope

Binaural recordings can be the closest thing to virtual reality that the state of the art allows. The concept is not new though; binaural actually predates stereo records by several years with binaural recordings on tape available in the early to mid 1950s.

I have made very realistic binaural recordings by placing one of the DIY mic capsules I've mentioned on this forum in each of my ears (carefully, of course), recording, then playing back over headphones. Since the outer ear structure exactly matches mine (because it IS mine), the illusion is pretty close to being perfect, and better than a generic dummy head form can manage because the dummy head's ears do not match anybody in particular.

More than a decade ago, I wished that some record company would release albums recorded in binaural, since ear buds are so popular. It could be done with multiple dummy heads, one on each instrument, then mixed conventionally over headphones. The result would probably be awesome.

Rope, Flint and I discussed Mr. Guttenberg when we were in NY. We pretty much agreed sometimes he will post an interesting article, followed the next day by some type of idiocy.

TitaniumTroy said:
Rope, Flint and I discussed Mr. Guttenberg when we were in NY. We pretty much agreed sometimes he will post an interesting article, followed the next day by some type of idiocy.

Next time discuss Robert Harley, and The Absolute Sound mag. That should make for some interesting fat chewing.

SH -

Have you considered mass producing some molds of your ear, perhaps marketing them with Soundhound piss in a combo pack?

Rope

BTW, Steve Guttenberg is still a weinerschnitzel. :eek:bscene-buttred:

soundhound said:
Rope said:
Have you considered mass producing some molds of your ear, perhaps marketing them with Soundhound piss in a combo pack?

Rope

Great idea!!!!!
:laughing-rolling:

Did I mention my commission? :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered:

Rope

Back