• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Home Theater Q's, building my own 5.1

smgreen20

The room I have isn't super big, about 12 x 15. 15 being the width. My TV is a 47" LG 1080p/3D.
The receiver I'm looking at will be a current model Pioneer, roughly 85w x 5.
Sub I'm unsure of. I might try my Sundown Audio SA8v3D2 (car audio) in a T-line box or I might just go with a Dayton Audio 10/12 inch sub.

I'm looking mostly at Madisound.com for my speakers. I've ran 6 1/2" Silver Flutes in my truck for years and love them so I'm sure I'm going with them. I'll pair them with a tweeter, most likely from the same sight, but had a few questions on making my own passives. I know I can order the boards and custom xover points from parts-express and plan to do so. Is there anything I need to know before doing so?
XO Points/slopes? I plan on building the enclosures myself as I'm more then capable.

I think it's awesome that you are building your own speakers. I'm not the one to answer any questions but just want to say good job for giving it a go yourself!

I recommend you get advice from madisound or a hobbyist forum on a crossover design. Just as important, make sure you design and build the proper enclosure for the mid/woofer and subwoofer.

I recommend you get advice from madisound or a hobbyist forum on a crossover design. Just as important, make sure you design and build the proper enclosure for the mid/woofer and subwoofer.

Or why not buy one of Madisound's kits? All the design stuff has been done for you, so you can spend your energy on building the boxes.

If you don't buy a predefined kit, do not, under any circumstance, attempt to order a passive crossover claiming to have a given crossover point. Crossovers don't work that way. Each crossover must be design for each driver and reach is unique. It simply isn't possible to buy a crossover and use it for whatever drivers you happen to have.

Back