• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How big of a screen?

Maximo

I know this is a loaded question but I am setting out to put together a DIY screen a la Yesfan.

The question of the day is how big is too big. What is just right? I expect to sit 10-12 feet from the screen. ONe row of seating (couch)

thoughts?

Big

Seriously though. My seating distance is just over 10' and my screen (16:9) is 110" which I think is almost perfect.

Maximo said:
I know this is a loaded question but I am setting out to put together a DIY screen a la Yesfan.

The question of the day is how big is too big. What is just right? I expect to sit 10-12 feet from the screen. ONe row of seating (couch)

thoughts?

You should do a build thread and post pics of your progress. What are you getting for the screen material? Mine came from T7, but I believe he got it from a seller on ebay. Very good quality for the money imo. It's a bit "stretchy", which is good for pulling the wrinkles out when you wrap it around the frame. The seller also has a link on building your frame. That what I used for mine.

For my size, I measure how far away I was sitting, and then divided by two (11ft / 2 = 5.5ft or 66" screen).

But then, I said "fuck it, I want a 100" screen." and then wound up with something like 93".

Yesfan70 said:
You should do a build thread and post pics of your progress. What are you getting for the screen material? Mine came from T7, but I believe he got it from a seller on ebay. Very good quality for the money imo. It's a bit "stretchy", which is good for pulling the wrinkles out when you wrap it around the frame. The seller also has a link on building your frame. That what I used for mine.

Build thread coming. Two systems in one!

So what kind of material is good?

THIS is what I bought and eventually sold to yesfan.

It's a rubberized cloth that has a little stretch to it, but is tough enough to be stapled while taught and not tear. If you want o build your own screen this is what is use. My current screen though is a 110" Elite that I bought on Amazon for around $300. It's very well made , especially for the money. I think Batman recommended and installed one for a customer.

^^^ Check out my build thread if you haven't already. (link)

BA Dealer I think is the seller's name. I really like the material personally. Is it better than what's used by the "big boys"? Probably, but I don't think I myself could justify going with those brands. If I decide to go bigger, I just do the same thing again. I've always been an 'audio first' guy, so video quality is not as important to me.

As for the sizes, I don't think you could go wrong for what I have or Towen has in our setup. Yours is going to be as different as ours are, so take that into account. I've always held the notion to keep the symmetry the same between displays and TVs for a given seating distance. Most people want a bigger display than what those parameters call for which is fine. My setup should have a 66" display, but like I said, I really wanted that wow factor and I don't regret not staying with a smaller display. I think my speakers are just right as far as distance goes.

EDIT: T7 beat me to the seller.

maximo, i went 120 at one point, with my seating position at around 10-11 feet away. we had headaches at one point, but we got used to it. :happy-smileygiantred:

seriously tho maximo, its ONLY for two hours.

Rope said:
Zing said:
:text-lol:

Rope

YEah yeah, I hear ya. I know the calculators but numbers don't beat personal experience.

As far as the DIY. That screen material is about $170. For an extra $105 I can just buy a 110" elite screen, which looks like the answer right now. Thanks fellas.

My 110 is a little bit bigger than the THX spec for the seat distance but I like it and it gives me a very decent view from the second row. I know you don't have a second row, just sayin.

I sit 10' from a 102" screen and it's good. Just make sure that you put the 1/3 point of the screen's height at eye level. This will make a HUGE difference. Mine is cheated up about 6" and the back row is raised 8" above the front and the back row's height, relative to the screen, is much better than the front.

John

Good info, I did not know that. ANd yeah I am likely just gonna buy a fixed fram screen. Somewhere about 100"

I have a 104" Carada Criterion series fixed frame screen and I am very happy with it. You may want to keep them in mind!!

mcad64 said:
I have a 104" Carada Criterion series fixed frame screen and I am very happy with it. You may want to keep them in mind!!

Good to hear since I took delivery of the same screen this week. :D My goal is to get it assembled this weekend so I might be hitting you (and other Carada owners) up if I run into any issues...

It's a Carada...there will be no issues. It will assemble and mount easily.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Back