1. Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Folks, I'm playing with the behavior of the titles and banners; you may want to read the relevant thread in the Forum Suggestions area.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
    Dismiss Notice

How do you tell?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers & Receivers' started by Snowman_, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Snowman_

Snowman_ Active Member

2. Botch

Botch I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S! Superstar

I clicked the video link, they didn't play it so I couldn't judge the sound thru my iMac's speakers :) but there are 55 customer reviews (I haven't looked at them yet), that should give you an idea.
    I'd definitely replace the included IEC cord with a $700 power cord, I'm sure it'd sing then... :p

3. Towen7

Towen7 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

It doesn't answer the OP but I've been looking to buy an inexpensive stereo amp for some outdoor speakers using my iPod or iPad as the source. It wont be used for critical listening but It should be fine for the intended purpose.

4. Maximo

Maximo Well-Known Member

I like these stats.

* less than 0.01% THD)
    *Signal-to-noise ratio: greater than 100 dB
    *Class A/B design topology
    *Auto-on sensitivity:

Those four things make this a desirable amp in my opinion. Is it a tube driven Carey? No. But it's a $129 and should be fine for most anything.

5. Flint

Flint "Do you know who I am?" Superstar

For me, I can only truly know after using one for awhile. In general, though, I find that one gets what they pay for. You can get performance, features, reliability, or low prices, but not all four at once. If any one goes significantly higher than the others, then something must give. In this case, the features are few, the price is low, but the performance may be good and the reliability is a crap shoot.

6. Rope

Rope Well-Known Member Famous

A significant deciding factor would be the source you intent to amplify, plus the other equipment involved. Personally, if it's used in a non critical situation, I would look for dependability and price. On the other hand, if it's going to be used in a critical listening setting, then I would focus my attention on noise floor, features, and stability at lower Ohms.

Rope