• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

How To Convert........

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
Windows Media Lossless Files to either MP3 or other format that will play on a Kenwood KDC-258U Head Unit.

I just installed a Kenwood KDC-258U Head Unit in my 2002 Silverado, It's about time I get some decent tunes in the truck.

Install went great, however the unit will not play from the USB Drive. Crutchfield thinks it is the WMA Lossless Files.

Help here is appriciated!

I just mass-converted ~3000 tracks from flac to mp3 for my car; first time I've had one with usb. I used dbPoweramp, as it has a nice straightforward menu for selecting files to convert from a large tree. This was only a fraction of my collection.

A copy. You can configure it to write copies to a separate directory, which is convenient so you can just drag all the mp3s onto the usb. I did find that it was generally faster to create the mp3s on the hard drive, then copy in bulk over to the usb, rather than having the app create them directly on the usb. But ymmv.

^^ What he said. The paid version gives you more flexibility over the free version, but both should let you have a copy and the original. I just make copies of my Flac files for my USB drives in my Jeeps.

I think most apps use lame for mp3 conversion... I know dbpoweramp and mediamonkey both do, as well. The rest is just user interface.

The Saga continues..................

dbpoweramp will not recognize my WMA Lossless files for conversion. I do have quite a few WAV files (that I forgot about), it does recognized them and did convert to MP3, however the File/Folder info did not show up, so it was just 1 long list of songs.

The Kenwood did play the WAV files that I put on a USB Drive, however the Artist/Album/Song info was not on the USB or not recognizable by the Kenwood.

I will continue to futz around with it.

^ I see says the "Blind Man".

So, I think that my approach will be, with respect to my USB Audio in the vehicle, to rip specific music to MP3, not my complete collection. Most of the time and I say Most of the time I am listening to New Music and/or New Music to Me when I travel.

I will rip a dozen or so CD's today to MP3 and see what shows up as far as folder/files in the Kenwood from the USB Drive.

Thanks for all of your input/help!

:happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

heeman said:
^ I see says the "Blind Man".

So, I think that my approach will be, with respect to my USB Audio in the vehicle, to rip specific music to MP3, not my complete collection. Most of the time and I say Most of the time I am listening to New Music and/or New Music to Me when I travel.

I will rip a dozen or so CD's today to MP3 and see what shows up as far as folder/files in the Kenwood from the USB Drive.

Thanks for all of your input/help!

:happy-smileygiantred: :happy-smileygiantred:

That's what I do. Ideally, I'd like to have my entire collection on hand, but as slow as my player is (also a Kenwood), it would take me forever to find that one album I want.

So far ripping CD's to MP3 via dbpoweramp is working out well. I am amazed at how many CD's will fit on a 8GB thumb drive........

I have figured out the Navigation on the Kenwood for the USB Files about 85% and it is cumbersome, however it is acceptable, I think.

I need to figure out how to squeeze some 6x9's in the rear. The sound improvement now is much better, but I think that some decent 6x9's in the rear instead of the 4" replacements will make it great.

heeman said:
So far ripping CD's to MP3 via dbpoweramp is working out well. I am amazed at how many CD's will fit on a 8GB thumb drive...............

I rip to lossless (Flac) with dB Poweramp, then I convert those lossless files to MP3. That way I have my lossless files for the HT Squeezeboxes and MP3 for the cars and there' no re-ripping from the CDs to do.

I will have to try that for the SqueezeBox (Flac) and the MP3 for the truck.......

Thanks!

heeman said:
I will have to try that for the SqueezeBox (Flac) and the MP3 for the truck.......

Thanks!

No problem.

I think dB Poweramp works quicker ripping to a lossless file like Flac as opposed to ripping to a lossy compressed file like MP3. If you have dB's Batch Convertor, you can just go in and select the lossless files you want converted to MP3 (or aac or wma), and dB will copy and convert those files for you and even move them to a separate folder if you want. I have mine set to where MP3 copies go to a "burn folder" on my desktop, then it's just a matter of plugging in a thumb drive and copying all those files from that folder to the thumb drive.

I have the full version of dbpoweramp (i think it was $50) and when I rip a CD, I tell it to rip it to 4 different formats at the same time. ALAC, Flac, MP3, and WAV.
DBPoweramp is great software.

Also wanted to add that WAV files can't have metadata, that's why you can't see any info except the name of the song.

Also, I just looked at your head unit's owner's manual and I found this

USB Port: The Kenwood KDC-258U features a front panel USB (type-A) port that is hidden behind a flip-up cover. The USB port enables connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as select Android smartphones (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio players, or USB thumbdrives. The unit supports playback of MP3 (8-320 kbps), WMA (32-192 kbps), and WAV music files stored on a compatible USB memory device formatted with FAT12/16/32 file system. Your USB device should only have a maximum of 8 folder layers, 255 folders, and 255 files per folder - with a maximum of 65,025 files and folders. USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.

The head unit will read WMA files but only lossy ones encoded up to 192 kbps.

Back